Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

List Your Practical Boating Accessories/Add Ons

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

List Your Practical Boating Accessories/Add Ons

Postby Midnightsun » April 3rd, 2022, 9:55 am

Many times it is not easy locating items one would like to have on board so one searches for the best solution. Over the years we have all come up with items not directly boat related however they work perfectly on our boats for our desired application. I have come across quite few and figured it would be nice to share our findings as a collective. You probably will not need most of the stuff listed however some may be just perfect for you and knowing they have been tested and working fine on board goes a long way in making a decision.

Please add any practical item that makes your life easier on board and a description of why if required.

Here is a very small and compact inverter. I used this to power my replacement TV in the master suite. As you know, 12v TVs are very limited and the quality sucks for the lack of a better word. I chose a standard 120v TV and used the inverter to power it. Simply cut and spliced the existing 12v source to the inverter and voila. Your existing dedicated 12v TV breaker still works as it should and will cut power to the TV as intended.

This unit is really tiny and has been in use for 2 seasons now without issue. The inverter presently is powering a 120v 24" Vizio led TV with plenty of reserve power left. It is rated at 150 watts so do not expect to install an 80" TV and run it with this unit. Check the power draw of the TV you intend on using and see if this little guy will suffice.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01H2U9DE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: List Your Practical Boating Accessories/Add Ons

Postby Midnightsun » April 3rd, 2022, 10:00 am

USB Projection clock.

I know, a clock is taboo on a boat but for me it is a necessity. I love projection clocks however they do require 120v so not practical on board. This guy connects via standard USB so it is always working and keeping time while projecting even away from shore power. Bonus is it has a USB plug in the rear so you can plug your phone to charge if you so please.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MDW457N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » April 3rd, 2022, 3:38 pm

Wireless remote control for 12v power on/off switching for my raw water washdown pump. I am on fresh water and when we go on anchor, i have to wash down the boat every morning for all the bugs, plus washing down the anchor when retrieving. I can turn the pump on and off from anywhere on the boat.

Wireless remote control for 12v power lift pole that I inserted inside my salon table to power remote control lift and drop for making into a bed. Works great and I don't have to struggle with lifting the table by hand.

Solar panels on the hard top so I don't have to run the generator as much (20 amp max output total).

Misters connected to the raw water system and installed at bow pad and aft pad area. Use raw water remote to turn on and off.

2000 watt continuous/4000 surge true sign wave inverter (instead of the small noisy inverters) to run TVs, and all A/C 120v power on the boat. Wired into the main power panel on the Generator switch with a relay to turn off if gen set is cranked.
Also added relays to automatically switch off the battery chargers and hot water heater so those are not trying to run on the inverter. Basically inverter on - no chargers or hot water heater. Generator on - inverter off and all chargers and hot water back on. Done automatically with relays.

Added USB Fast Charging Ports all over the boat so I don't have to have full chargers everywhere. Cables are cheap to keep around.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 5th, 2022, 8:46 am

Some things ive done are. I've installed private wifi network with wireless cameras and wireless thermometers so I can check the boat while away and have push notifications for movement aboard such as on the aft deck and entryway door. Also allows me to monitor interior boat and bilge Temps in winter to assure heaters are working and use them in fridge/freezer in summer, Installed wireless switch to turn on ac to the boat before arrival.. inverter installed with trojan T105s for tv, dishetwork receiver, cpap etc. And some other not so necessarily special stuff .
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » April 11th, 2022, 2:18 pm

So far the item that made the most noticeable, appreciable difference to my comfort onboard was an Ecor Pro EPD50 Desiccant based dehumidifier. Made a huge difference to how comfortable the boat was and works in very low temperatures where a normal dehumidifier would freeze over and likely get damaged.

Super for extending the boat season in spring and fall when Air Conditioning is not needed but the condensation kicks into overdrive.

I'm going to sound like that old Remmington Electric shaver commercial, but I actually became a dealer in Canada because of how great the thing works.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Return to “The Project Center”