Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Side Shifter Completed

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Side Shifter Completed

Postby tonyiiiafl » May 8th, 2022, 3:45 pm

The SIDESHIFTER bow thruster is a completed project. AAfter mounting it while on the hard, we waited until I had a weekend on teh water to wire it up. Hard to figure out where to place the girl batteries. They are BIG to form a 24V system. Anyway, on this 1994 390 CPMY I used the side hatch in teh forward berth. originally I was to put both there. However, bedside space issue, I wanted to distribute the weight better So one on the port side, one at the bow, near the chain locker. I fashioned a shelf for the port side, and used 5200 to glue the foot to the inner hull. Although solid, it made me feel better. Now, the forward one was a bit of a challenge. I needed to put it there, but also wanted access to the mounting holes, so this made for a funky platform, that rested against teh inner hull, (5200 used to prevent the movement) and fastened to the inner berth with stainless siding screws. Cable run was difficult, as it had to link the two batteries together, and also a 12V lead dedicated to the wireless unit.

I put a shelf in teh port hanging locker to accommodate the equipment and battery charger. I didn’t want this stuff in the bilge. `That involved running the cables through the chase I made. Also, when lengthening the 2 AWL cable that came with the Sideshifter. I used cable splicer. I ensured that teh splices were 4” apart lengthwise so they would not rub. ALL lugs and connections were double heat shrinked. Main control on helm, as I moved the fume detector. Charper required extension cables to charge both batteries. testing…..7 HP of brute power. The video was taken with 35MPG winds. the Sideshifter moved the bow against the dock effortlessly. Yes, easily a do it yourself project, as long as you follow directions! Now to put it to the test underway!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Re: Side Shifter Completed

Postby tonyiiiafl » May 8th, 2022, 4:01 pm

Wish I knew how to put a short video here.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Side Shifter Completed

Postby bud37 » May 8th, 2022, 5:31 pm

Nice job...looks good.....thanks for posting your efforts. Also it is good to see that where you are the wind gets real good fuel mileage..... :-D .... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “The Project Center”