Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cat Whiskers starboard replaced

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Cat Whiskers starboard replaced

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 4th, 2022, 4:51 pm

The cat whiskers on the starboard side windows was a total mess. Even had some weeds growing in it. SO, I went to Harbor Freight and got some picks and went at it. Pulling the old out was just a matter to technique. Except for a bone chilling stab to the left thumb, it was just pick and pull. Then cleaning out the channels for the new to sit. I was able to slide some in and pull from the other end to length and then push and pick until it was locked in place. The window drains were also plugged solid. SO, before, during and after pics. Start to finish was approx 2.25 hours. Port side next. NOT as bad as I thought….except for the stabbing of one’s thumb!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Cat Whiskers starboard replaced

Postby km1125 » June 4th, 2022, 5:25 pm

Looks great.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it actually was once I got around to doing it. I had envisioned it being a real mess and taking weeks. When I actually started pulling the old stuff out, was surprised at all the crud underneath. Took longer to clean out the crud then actually pull and replace the pile!!

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 5th, 2022, 3:08 am

Good job!

I had forgotten about that stab into my thumb..... :confused:

Quite a bit of the plastic sliding strips are damaged too on ours, functions though. And the whiskers replacement fixed the rattling too, not only the water/wind blowing through.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 5th, 2022, 7:08 am

Mine were just plain old gross. Even had grass growing from a few. Hope it will stop a couple leaks, as it should with the drains cleaned out. MAYBE next weekend the port side, and the aft bedroom window. I will tie her tight to the finger pier and do from outside if possible. ((I will also have a couple extra sets of picks JUST in case King Neptune gets hungry!))

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 5th, 2022, 9:33 am

One thing for sure, a lot of leaks in boats with this design window could be stopped by keeping those drains and channels clean and free running.
Picks are sharp , in this case leather is not just a fashion statement..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 6th, 2022, 11:14 am

Those bad boys were in terrible shape. Good job. I also replaced mine sometime ago too.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 6th, 2022, 11:16 am

If you window has the plastic covers for the weep slit holes you can still get them from Taylor.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
DistinctivelyLost
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 430 CMY

Postby DistinctivelyLost » September 20th, 2023, 8:43 pm

Can someone point me to where they bought their new “cat wiskers “? I’ve heard it called Schlage too?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2023, 9:32 pm

DistinctivelyLost wrote:Source of the post Can someone point me to where they bought their new “cat wiskers “? I’ve heard it called Schlage too?

I just bought mine through Amazon. It's called Pile Weatherstripping. There's a few other threads on here and in one of them I (and others) posted info on the different part numbers we used.

Return to “The Project Center”