Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Inverter Install help on 2003 396

Topic author Canada
dssking
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396

Inverter Install help on 2003 396

Postby dssking » June 12th, 2022, 8:27 pm

I'd like to put in a 3000w inverter (Can Tire sine). This boat has Cummins diesels in it so mounting this inverter in
the engine room shouldn't be a problem (spark arrestor??).

Trouble is that I cannot find a way from the TV/AC area on the starboard side down to the engine room. I can
see wiring and hoses but no apparent opening in the engine room. Fuel tanks and shaft is in the way from me
really getting in there but I'll figure out a way.

Anyone know of a way to the engine room for 4 4gage cables?

Thanks

United States of America
KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '76 Carver Mariner 3395
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Re: Inverter Install help on 2003 396

Postby KandJ72 » June 13th, 2022, 10:05 am

Are you mounting the inverter in the engine room or near tv/ac area?

Your length of a run from battery bank will determine your cable sizing.

Based on a 12 volt system 4 AWG is only good for about 80 AMP (960 watt) for @20 feet (6m) so in theory 2) 4 AWG would be ok up to 160 AMP (1920 watts) to @ 20 feet (6m).

A single run of 2/0 AWG would do the same. How many watts do you plan on typically drawing?

4/0 would be the safest for the size inverter you have to run at full load capacity.

Of course this all would change if it's a 24 volt set up.

Return to “The Project Center”