Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 Aft deck coverage

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

3607 Aft deck coverage

Postby Grafunkus » July 15th, 2022, 8:52 am

We currently have a soft top over the aft deck on our 3607. Before we moved it to Kenora, it was stored indoors and the aft coverage didn't have to come off. We obviously had to remove everything to move it from Gimli to Kenora and ever since we have not been able to get the top on properly. Our marina also requires us to remove that structure in the fall to be able to wrap for the winter. Our plan it to replace all the canvas on top so I am looking for other ideas for the structure. I would almost prefer to wallpaper with hubby instead of removing this structure!! :lol: Does anyone have a "hinged" system similar to the one over the helm? What other options are there? I have attached a couple of photos showing what we have. The "fabric" is more of a vinyl/plasticy thing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 3607 Aft deck coverage

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2022, 9:48 am

The first time you saw the boat did that canvas ever fit correctly. Over time canvas can really shrink. Do you have a center bar that runs across to keep the canvas from sinking in the middle, if so is it adjustable somehow, that could give you some slack to pull the canvas back over the edge.

Edit...it occurs to me after rereading you may not be asking this, so , ignore the response as I thought it was canvas.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » July 17th, 2022, 6:05 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The first time you saw the boat did that canvas ever fit correctly. Over time canvas can really shrink. Do you have a center bar that runs across to keep the canvas from sinking in the middle, if so is it adjustable somehow, that could give you some slack to pull the canvas back over the edge.

Edit...it occurs to me after rereading you may not be asking this, so , ignore the response as I thought it was canvas.

Yes, the fabric fit correctly when we bought the boat. Yes there is a center bar but it isn't adjustable. Just letting it be this season. I am looking for other options on how to cover the back. The biggest pain is having to remove the structure in the fall and then reinstall in the spring.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 18th, 2022, 8:15 am

Did you try soaking it down really good? Even though they're waterproof the fabric will still absorb moisture and be a touch more flexible. if you put tension on it when wet it may stretch enough to fit.

I had a bridge cover that was a bear to put on in the early and late parts of the season when it was cooler. It was a bit better when the hot sun was out, as that made it a bit more flexible. That was Sunbrella, but the heavy kind with the vinyl backing.

Topic author Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain

Postby Grafunkus » July 20th, 2022, 11:10 am

I guess I just don't know how to ask questions here. I am looking for different ideas on what options for "structure" are. I am not worrying about the current covering as we are planning to replace this winter. It seems that the "straight up posts" are what is standard. Anybody do anything different?????

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 20th, 2022, 12:12 pm

I've only seen those straight-up posts on boats with actual hard tops. The only other ones I've seen with canvas over the aft deck used a similar structure to the bridge canvas, and that would fold forward or aft just like the bridge canvas does. Those were 'anchored' to the lower railing and didn't go down to the deck.

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » July 21st, 2022, 9:07 am

I have a hard-top on my 3607 and we love it. I dont know if you could find a good used hard-top but I guess all you can do is try and look and make some calls?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 21st, 2022, 9:38 am

I agree, if you can swing the cost that seems to be the way to go.

One other point, experienced people that do marine canvas have possibly seen many options and ways to deal with difficult situations....hopefully there are a few around your location you could consult, they may have some connections, worth a try.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “The Project Center”