Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Flashing Anti Bug Anchor Light

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: Flashing Anti Bug Anchor Light

Postby Phrancus » August 26th, 2022, 3:02 pm

how about a kind of strobe light? a quick flash every minute or so should be enough to be picked up by some vessel coming your way?
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 26th, 2022, 3:43 pm

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post how about a kind of strobe light? a quick flash every minute or so should be enough to be picked up by some vessel coming your way?

That is my project using the original anchor light connected to the timer module I showed. Want to keep this as stock as possible and easily bypassed or removed if required. It will turn out more like a flashing light similar to a standard navigation buoy. A strobe as we all now it may be a little drastic.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » August 27th, 2022, 2:26 am

Strobe would seem too much like an emergency situation indeed.

The light has a function, no light is not a good idea. Some rules do have a good reason behind it.

But the light causes problems as the bugs drop dead around it I suppose? So how about moving that light somewhat off the boat. Up front with an extension? No one who sees an anchor light takes it as a small point to avoid, the light can indicate a small and a big vessel so where exactly that light is on the boat is less important I would think.

Or install a radar with a bar, light on top of that so the bugs get swept overboard, add paddles/spoilers for more effect.... :lol:
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 27th, 2022, 9:44 am

Put a much brighter battery operated light on your anchor buoy in hopes that the bugs will be more attracted to it away from the boat instead. Maybe a blue light.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 27th, 2022, 10:50 am

Another thought is to rig a black panel under the light, so that the whole boat is shadowed and not illuminated by the anchor light. From a big "bug distance", that illuminated boat is a huge target.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 27th, 2022, 11:50 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post I have seen a few boats that cheat when it comes to anchor lights. They tie/tape one of those garden solar lights to the top of the VHF antenna being they are so light and small. They come on automatically and shut down when the sun rises. Probably do not last the entire night though.

Few years back we had two of that style solar light, they were a marine version, quite nice/solid, had rail mounts and lasted all night. I put one on each side of the bridge on the inside of the canvas, it had the effect of lighting the entire bridge under the canvas. Sorry I don't remember the name, I think we got them at TIBS.

Now that said any departure from the regs could be a serious problem if there ever was ( God forbid ) an accident, they will always look for a way out, not to mention the legal charges under the applicable code.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 21st, 2023, 8:51 am

Got her hooked up today, works like a charm at least physically that is. Now lets see how the bugs react however this will be later on when we get around to anchoring and the bugs are out.

I can confirm a common ground works fine, no need to split the ground of the anchor light. In the arch I had 2 positive wires, one for the steaming light and when for the anchoring light with a single common ground for both. I was able to simply cut the ground and hook up each end of the black wires of the module which completes the circuit. I cut the anchor light wire and hooked up each end to the 2 red wires on the module being careful to connect the in and out correctly. Easy install in my case.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 24th, 2023, 10:24 am

After spending several nights on the hook during bug season I can confirm the blinking light solution is a solution to bug attraction.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 24th, 2023, 1:39 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post is a solution to bug attraction.

I thought you wanted to keep them away...... ;-)
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 24th, 2023, 3:10 pm

Guess I worded that wrong. Had a couple of bottles of wine too many last night so this morning I was a little foggy when I wrote that one. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”