Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

replacing an old ice maker

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: replacing an old ice maker

Postby Viper » October 15th, 2016, 9:11 am

Likely on top of the board's cover or remove the cover and see if there is one on the board itself. I was just going to suggest you wait for a boat show.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 16th, 2016, 5:23 pm

What boat show did you go to? Find or see anything exciting?

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » October 16th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Annapolis boat show (motor boats), yes there were some good ones. Regal had one 42' that was nice. I am sure I will be getting lots of follow ups Monday :) I was too tired to play with mine, so put off the refrigerator issue and tachometer issues for later this week.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » April 24th, 2017, 11:52 am

Back to the refrigerator issue. Finally getting around to checking the problem. To sum it up, there is no power to it, no green power light on, no noise from it as before when it was on. The regular plug is fine there is power there. I think the problem is on the unit itself. Before I bite the bullet and geta new one, hate to, as the unit was keeping everything cold and I think compressor is ok. Like to try to change maybe power unit or some power board. I pulled it out yesterday and took some pictures. Can anyone say there is something in these pictures that I can look into. The one on the wall is the 12 watt source. not sure there is anything there I can fix or replace, as I did not open it. The second pic is behind where the power is I believe. Not sure replacing that whole unit or there is a board inside?
And help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 24th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Need a bit more info on this unit. A Norcold, right?

Inside that power supply there is a relay which switches from DC power to AC power. The AC runs directly into a transformer and then to the compressor, so it's pretty simple. The DC goes into an inverter first, then into the transformer, so it's "easier" to check it out on AC rather than DC. The compressor runs about 30 volts AC.

If you don't even have the green light, then I would think that would be easier to run down. Is the panel located at the bottom of the door? Is it possible that it is just a bad on/off switch?

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » April 24th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Possible, could be a bad switch. Yes it is Norcold DE461. It died while it was left on. When I cam back on board noticed the green light was out and also noticed the noise that was coming from it every so often that compressor was on was no longer there. So I downloaded the manuals, I was going to try to see some fuse possibly blown, or can be switch, I'll check, I will have to look into that. Also keep in mind I am no electrician. When you say easy, not sure what that means :) So I should open the power box (the one with yellow sticker saying Caution)? I already unplugged the DC. AC is still there, but it is turned off from the box (labeled refrigerator).

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 25th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I'll dig around... I might have a schematic. If you do take the cover off (of course making SURE there's no power applied) get some good pictures, I might be able to compare the Power Supply with ones I have to see if they are the same.

On your 461 rev, I have notes "Second cooling fan added to back of unit. Change to 50 Hz compressor" Thought the 50Hz was interesting because all the others are 60Hz

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 25th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Since you dont know your way electronics and if all fuses check ok in your case you could replace the whole power supply. Probably plug and play. don't know if it's worth it to you to do this on this old of a unit but a quick look on the Internet showed this place has them. may could find it cheaper by looking more.
http://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-power- ... 61-models/
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 25th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Before replacing the power supply, I would check the compressor with a good ohm meter to make certain it isn't toasted.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » April 26th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Thanks, sorry working on bunch of different problems concurrently, unrelated to boat. So, in regards to parts, yes the thenordcoldguy side is too expensive. In case the problem turns out to be something else, there goes half of the new refig money :) I found one few months ago under ebay, but was not sure at that time and did not buy it, should have as it was $160. Anyway I am pretty sure compressor is good, but I I agree tom, I should test. I did download some document on this unit, which shows how to trouble shoot and its showing how to check things including compressor. Or I need to bite the bullet and get the new one. I think we are looking at about $1200-$1400 depending on site. But reviews don't look to good for the latest model under westmarine site.... What to do what to do....

Return to “The Project Center”