Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aqua Deck – 406 Project

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Aqua Deck – 406 Project

Postby kgarguilo » June 12th, 2023, 6:04 pm

Finished Project pictures
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsUXzq27eR2fgrYoXfa ... w?e=dsovR9

Earlier this year I went to the Atlanta boat show to ascertain what was the best flooring for the exterior portions of our Carver 406. We came out of there with a clear leader of Aqua Deck marine here locally. The material is a 7-millimeter-thick self-sticking solution. The salesperson (Ashley) I talked to (very knowledgeable) already had a template for a 405. She insisted that measuring with a laser is the best way forward as not all boats are created 100% equal. After seeing the finished product, I agree that shooting the decks with a laser gave me the best possible outcome. Also, deciding on the width of the design for the faux planks, we selected the 3” as the 2” on a nearly 14’ beam looked too busy and the 4” was too large aiming the swim platform look small. In the end, I think we made the right choice on the faux plank width. The color (see in pics) is beige with black highlights. They even made us a mat for boarding with the Boats name engraved on it. From placing the order to installation took about 5 weeks. The actual installation was done in one day.

Concerns:
I had a few concerns going into this venture, one of which was that this material would become very hot and not awesome for bare feet. This past weekend proved that does not get too hot. Now that may be the color that I picked or the material itself. Either way it was not bad on bare feet in the bright sun.
The other concern was it peeling up after some age and washing. So far after three months and three washes and a wax job no peeling has occurred to date. I see a few other boats on my dock that have used the same company and their aqua deck is roughly 2 years old and I see no peeling there either.

Pros:
The Aqua Deck looks terrific in my opinion and also provides a little cushion when walking across it barefooted. While this product is not inexpensive, I believe it is added value to the boat.
The detail around all of the hardware embedded in the top side of the boat has very detailed cut outs and tightly fit around each fitting.

Hope this is helpful.

Vendor I used was :
Aqua Marine Deck
Ashley 770.614.4417
1020 Parkway Industrial Park Drive
Suite A, Buford Georgia 30518
info@aquamarinedeck.com
https://www.aquamarinedeck.com/
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Aqua Deck – 406 Project

Postby g36 » June 13th, 2023, 7:00 am

Hoping your decking will last. :-D I chose to keep the outside decks on my 405 bare and used infinity woven vinyl flooring to make replacement snap down sections in the sundeck and flybridge areas.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Postby kgarguilo » June 13th, 2023, 7:54 am

This boat, when I bought her had snap down marine seagreass woven material like the newer pontoons have with a rubber like backing but, it was very hot on the feet while in any sunlight. It was dry rotted on the bottom side, and was hard to stretch to snap. They say the Aqua deck will last 5-7 years for this material. We are in a fully covered slip so I hope it will be fine.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 13th, 2023, 8:28 am

They say the Aqua deck will last 5-7 years for this material. We are in a fully covered slip so I hope it will be fine.

It's not the material that fails, it's the adhesive. If not exposed to water such as an open boat or swim platform it will last a very long time. I am referring to SeaDeck which which has 3M glue on the backing which is probably the beat adhesive out there. Pretty sure the Aqua Deck will fair as well as long as their adhesive lasts. the only place I have issue with the glue is where there is water.

One thing that throws me off is my older 2007 Yamaha wave runner which has what I think is Sea Deck. It is out in the elements every season and the footwells are pretty much full of water all summer. Their is no place that it wants to come loose so something is obviously different from a factory install VS aftermarket. Then again this could be the surface as my Sea Deck is applied to the standard no slip surface and I assume the wave runner is a smooth surface.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 13th, 2023, 8:47 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
...could be the surface as my Sea Deck is applied to the standard no slip surface and I assume the wave runner is a smooth surface.
Bingo!
Also expect the product to shrink a bit. Some guys caulk the outside edges to keep water from migrating underneath but all that does is leave you with a gap between the product and the caulking once the product shrinks.

Return to “The Project Center”