Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 396 swim platform rot repair

Topic author United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Carver 396 swim platform rot repair

Postby KyleR » July 3rd, 2023, 3:31 pm

I wanted to start this thread to document the rot repair to our swim platform due to poor dock box installation and sealing. This is a well documented issue with these dock boxes being improperly installed by the dealers. So I thought I'd share my project as I complete it and hopefully help others out as well as solicit suggestions from others who have done similar repairs.

We are getting hauled out on Wednesday, July 5th which is when I'll start the bulk of work, but while we were tied up at the Oriental, NC free docks I went ahead today and cut all the silicone out and pulled everything apart and made preps for the actual work. Good thing too, as it took a lot longer due to screws that had been rounded off and I ended up having to grind a slot in them to get them out. Anyway, here's the first few pics showing the dock box coming off and how it is constructed. I'll keep this updated once we haul-out and I get going. Hope it helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
paulr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 396 CY Aft Cabin 2001 8.1 Crusaders

Re: Carver 396 swim platform rot repair

Postby paulr » July 4th, 2023, 9:16 pm

Oh boy, now I have another thing to worry about.
I'm curious, what alerted you to the problem?

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 4th, 2023, 10:51 pm

When you walk across the platform, you can feel the sponginess. It is pretty self-revealing. ;-)
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 5th, 2023, 8:33 am

paulr wrote:Source of the post Oh boy, now I have another thing to worry about.
I'm curious, what alerted you to the problem?

Another dock box issue. Everyone that has these mounted on their boat should pull them off check for any rot in the holes and surrounding area and reseal and/or fix before it continues. Mine has basically no sealant snd if the boat hadnt lived its life in a covered slip i would have had this same huge issue instead of a bit of rot around the deck screw holes. Carver did not do a through job in sealing these and at least you'll know where you stand before having to do a huge repair.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 8th, 2023, 8:13 pm

Update....I've only been able to work off and on since hauling out on Wednesday due to afternoon showers that put a stop to work! But here are some updates.

This is the mess I found after peeling back the skin. Only took a couple of photos but you get the idea!! :censored:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 8th, 2023, 8:16 pm

And with all the rot pretty much gone, I was looking like this. You can see the darker strip/area where there was plywood under the dock box to screw into. Everywhere else was balsa.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 8th, 2023, 8:23 pm

And finally, I did some grinding and got rid of all the diamond deck texture and put a 3" wide bevel on the edges in preparation for layering the glass & wood in, hopefully to start next week - weather permitting!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 12th, 2023, 12:50 am

Made a little progress today. Bought some 1708 biaxial fiberglass and a sheet of 1" plywood for the repair. Made a template for cutting the plywood and sheets of fiberglass since I'll need multiple layers. I got a layer of glass down and epoxied in (forgot to take a photo after applying the resin). Also got the plywood cut to shape.

The plan for tomorrow is to cut the plywood shape into pieces and slide them in like a jigsaw puzzle. Once the fit is right, remove the wood, lay down a layer of thickened epoxy, coat each piece of wood with straight epoxy and then put everything back in place, followed by a top coat of straight epoxy. I'll let you know how it goes!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 12th, 2023, 10:14 am

Looking good, hope you'll get some good weather to continue on. Love the pics.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 14th, 2023, 4:41 pm

Between rain showers and 20+ knot winds, I was able to get all the wood installed and epoxied in (see pic below). I had to grind down some high spots once it hardened just due to irregularities in the swim platform supports and then I filled any cracks and crevices with thickened epoxy. Hope to get to the top glassing this weekend but they're calling for more rain. :banghead: I'm also posting a pic of the wood I used in case anyone else was wondering. Also, I ended up using 5 gallon water bottles filled with water for my "clamps". Worked pretty good!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “The Project Center”