Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replace wood in head with FRP panel?

Topic author
Jab
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1978 Santa Cruz 2866
Moosehead Lake, Maine

Replace wood in head with FRP panel?

Postby Jab » May 17th, 2014, 8:04 pm

OK, so I've posted on way too many threads tonight.... Slow night at work...

Another project on my '78 Santa Cruz 2866.

I've restored the wood throughout the salon, but I'm not sure I want to do the same in the head. I'm not really concerned how it looks in there. The same amount of effort stripping/sanding/staining/varnishing seems wasted. And it's not the best surface if we use our shower with any frequency (probably won't, but not sure).

So I was considering covering the head walls with a product made for bathroom interiors. There are many choices, but HomeDepot carries plain white FRP sheets in plain white colors. I could easily cover the whole thing with 2 4x8 sheets cut to fit- less than $75 in materials. Instead of their recommended adhesive, which would probably ruin the underlying wood and prevent any hope of recovery (for me, or the next owner), I plan to use a "removable" and sand-able marine adhesive, and edge molding.

Anyone tried anything similar, or see any obvious problems with the plan?

JB

Return to “The Project Center”