Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shower Sump Failure Alarm

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Shower Sump Failure Alarm

Postby Midnightsun » September 22nd, 2023, 12:36 pm

Here is a simple and cheap DIY way of being alerted if the float switch or pump fails on the shower sump. I am sure all of you have found the sump overflowed and filled a substantial amount of water into the bilge at some point. Only way one notices is the shower does not drain as well so one tends to verify however usually way too late and most likely after multiple showers. This will prevent this from going unnoticed. a simple small float switch installed into the cover of the sump, a small piezo buzzer and hook up to the same 12v power supplying your sump bilge pump. Loud enough to be heard under the floor. The piezo draws only a few milliamps so no issue connecting directly to the float.

Float switch. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08122CS3N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Piezo Buzzer. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HDYSY1V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I did add a waterproof connector however this is not required.

IMG_2925.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Midnightsun on September 22nd, 2023, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Shower Sump Failure Alarm

Postby g36 » September 22nd, 2023, 1:47 pm

Yes I did this same alarm a few years ago after having mine overflow,. I just wired mine through the existing pump float switch
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 22nd, 2023, 3:53 pm

I just wired mine through the existing pump float switch

Can you elaborate? Not understanding how that would work.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 23rd, 2023, 10:59 am

Yea no problem. Maybe a bit different than your setup or idea but This is how i wanted to use this. Using the float switch to trigger the audio alarm. When the pump turns on the alarm will sound and then turn off when sump box is empty of water only runs a few seconds while pump is on. So if I hear the audio alarm staying on for any extended period I know the box is not emptying, i.e full of hair etc. Or pump is not working. In the head I changed it up to a lamp so at night I would not wake up the wife while using the sink. This setup works great for us and I have not had any overflowing mishaps anymore.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 23rd, 2023, 12:08 pm

One thing I though about doing was adding a little delay before shutdown circuit between the float switch and the pump. When the float was triggered, the pump would run but then when the float dropped the pump would still run for "x" seconds to get the remaining water out of the sump before the pump shut down.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 23rd, 2023, 12:31 pm

My biggest issue is float switch failure which is always why mine overflow. I do clean everything out every year going as far as removing the pump and float from the box to get it thoroughly cleaned. Heck, even use tweezer to remove any hair caught in the impeller. I have changed both pumps and float switch brands in both sumps now and have installed the alarms. Hopefully the new floats will last longer.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 23rd, 2023, 12:36 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post One thing I though about doing was adding a little delay before shutdown circuit between the float switch and the pump. When the float was triggered, the pump would run but then when the float dropped the pump would still run for "x" seconds to get the remaining water out of the sump before the pump shut down.

Have you checked the check valve? Located in the small hose inside the shower sump that connects the pump to the shower box outlet. They wear out and do not seal well after x years. Even with a delay of several minutes, it cannot pump out all the water from the line which tends to flow back into the sump. https://marinepartssource.com/check-val ... rule-1240r.

Number 5 on this link works even better although it would be installed just outside the box by cutting the line and inserting it in-line. Works perfectly on 3/4" ID hose which is pretty standard on all sumps. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 1802dc6QQj
Last edited by Midnightsun on September 23rd, 2023, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 23rd, 2023, 12:44 pm

I think most all of this stuff is designed for cheap replacement on a maintenance schedule unfortunately. Hans you are probably lengthening that time frame considerably by maintaining to that level.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 23rd, 2023, 2:52 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post One thing I though about doing was adding a little delay before shutdown circuit between the float switch and the pump. When the float was triggered, the pump would run but then when the float dropped the pump would still run for "x" seconds to get the remaining water out of the sump before the pump shut down.

Have you checked the check valve? Located in the small hose inside the shower sump that connects the pump to the shower box outlet. They wear out and do not seal well after x years. Even with a delay of several minutes, it cannot pump out all the water from the line which tends to flow back into the sump. https://marinepartssource.com/check-val ... rule-1240r.

Number 5 on this link works even better although it would be installed just outside the box by cutting the line and inserting it in-line. Works perfectly on 3/4" ID hose which is pretty standard on all sumps. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 1802dc6QQj

Neither of mine were drainback issues. The float switch would always need at least 1/2" to 3/4" to activate and would shut off when the water got down to about that amount. I had even considered just putting a manual push-button switch that bypassed the float for manually emptying it the rest of the way.

Great Britain
Frizzy79
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver montego 21ft double cabin.

Postby Frizzy79 » October 2nd, 2023, 2:39 pm

Hi there. I think it was yourself that gave me my first welcoming reply on this forum
If it was thank you
Mate.
I have a 2157 carver montego that I’m completely having rebuilt and will need to source the hard to find bit n bobs!!!
Good to stay in touch and I’ll get
Back to you soon with specifics of what I’m needing.
Thanks again. John

Return to “The Project Center”