Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Conversion from raw to fresh water cooling?

Topic author United States of America
Boat bums
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Former Hatteras owner now looking at Carvers 38-40'

Conversion from raw to fresh water cooling?

Postby Boat bums » November 11th, 2023, 9:40 pm

Greetings all,

Long time former Hatteras owner looking to own 38-40 Carver. In my search I have found at bunch with raw water cooling. That won't work for me as I am going to spend 50% of my time in salt water and be there for 4-6 months. Does Carver or any of the engine folks sell a conversion kit?

TIA
Russ Appleton
Manning, SC :pirate:

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Conversion from raw to fresh water cooling?

Postby buster53 » November 11th, 2023, 10:34 pm

I don’t have the specifics, but yes, you can convert those engines. I’m sure a quick google search will come up with whatever pieces/parts you will need and there are probably a couple dozen videos on YouTube showing the process. Just punch in, convert RWC to FWC.
From what I have read, for a number of years, do not convert RWC engines that are used in salt water as the salt has literally engrained itself into the engine cooling passageways and will cause problems when mixed with anti freeze.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 13th, 2023, 11:00 am

Yes, make sure you are starting with a freshwater boat. Carver is no longer in business. You may want to contact engine manufacturer also. Good luck, I know conversions have been done to boats located up here and moved to salt water. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United Arab Emirates
dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 350 Mariner

Postby dlldxb » November 13th, 2023, 10:20 pm

What engine manufacturer? I used the Crusader part catalog to identify replacement parts on my 5.7MPI It was a conversion when i moved from lake to south florida. Converted before it went into salt. Just make sure you know if full or half, manifolds are fresh or salt. This will come into play when you replace risers later and will or won't need block off plates.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 13th, 2023, 10:49 pm

dlldxb has a point. If you’re going to the trouble and expense to convert engines into fresh water cooling, make sure you go with a full system as opposed to a half system. With a full system, chances are real good you will never have to replace your manifolds.

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin with Volvo 740b engines. Westerbeke 5kw generator. Bought the boat in Portland Oregon in June, and a friend and I brought it up to Sidney, BC. Great trip!

Postby MyPleasure » November 14th, 2023, 1:03 am

I just converted the Volvo 740b gas engines in our 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin to fresh water cooled. Not an easy task with Volvo marinized engines, as with everything Volvo, nothing is easy or cheap. I can only get the 1/2 system on the Volvo’s because Volvo used a very unusual thermostat housing that they had for a full closed cooling system, is no longer available. The hoses to the exhaust manifolds go to and from the thermostat housing.
Looking at the heat exchangers that I purchased, there may be heat exchangers that have extra hose connections that run from the fresh water side of the heat exchanger to and from the exhaust manifolds similar to the Mercruiser setup, but I’m not positive that it would work.
I really don’t want to buy another set of heat exchangers, but I may have to go that route to make it a complete closed cooling.
Al
1st Carver 1987 32 Aft Cabin
2nd Carver 1989 4207 Aft Cabin
3rd Carver 1995 350 Voyager
4th (current) 1992 36 Carver Aft Cabin

Return to “The Project Center”