Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Adding solar on my 1999 406

Topic author United States of America
pwillis@mail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Adding solar on my 1999 406

Postby pwillis@mail.com » December 30th, 2023, 8:30 am

Hello all!! I hope everyone had a great holiday and Happy New Year. Has anyone mounted solar panels to their aft deck roof? Can you share what you did and how you did it? Panels and sizes, getting wires to the battery charger, controllers, battery types, sizes and manufacturers. Anything you can share even YouTube videos would be helpful. I'm hoping to make this my 2024 project this year!! As always, thank you for your help and comments.
1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Adding solar on my 1999 406

Postby Viper » December 30th, 2023, 11:53 am

There are at least a couple of member installation threads on here. I'm sure someone will post links to the threads but you could also try doing a search here on the topic in the search field above.

Canada
MyPleasure
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 36 aft cabin with Volvo 740b engines. Westerbeke 5kw generator. Bought the boat in Portland Oregon in June, and a friend and I brought it up to Sidney, BC. Great trip!

Re: Adding solar on my 1999 406

Postby MyPleasure » January 14th, 2024, 12:26 am

Hi, we have a 1992 3608, which is basically the same boat as your 406, but without the big swim platform. I have 2 190 watt go power panels on the hardtop, and another 190 watt panel on the bridge canvas. I get about 25 amps out of the panels on a good day. But they do get my 6-6volt house batteries to float stage quite quickly. I ran the 10 gauge wire down to the engine room following the bridge control wiring down the starboard aft side of the bridge where the radar arch meets the bridge. Had to drill a hole to access the wiring route, but you can’t really see it unless it’s pointed out to someone. The wires then go to my 30 amp controller and then down to the batteries with a fuse on the positive side.
I attached the panels on the hardtop using Alien tape and earth magnets so that I didn’t have to drill holes in the hardtop, and attached the panel to the bridge canvas with the earth magnets too. they worked perfectly over the last 2 summers, and never had a panel move in some good winds.
It’s definitely a lot of work to install everything properly, but well worth it if you anchor out a lot like we do.
Al
1st Carver 1987 32 Aft Cabin
2nd Carver 1989 4207 Aft Cabin
3rd Carver 1995 350 Voyager
4th (current) 1992 36 Carver Aft Cabin

Return to “The Project Center”