Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel (Gas) Send Unit aka fuel level float

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Fuel (Gas) Send Unit aka fuel level float

Postby kgarguilo » January 28th, 2024, 11:47 am

In my quest to have more information available to me while I am away, I just installed a Victron Cerbo GX. Btw, very cool. My next add on is to monitor my fuel tanks via the Cerbo that appears on my MFD Garmin 8612 Plotter.

I am trying to identify what kind of Fuel send units are on my 1999 Carver 406. Meaning manufacturer and specs. The only number I see on the 5 hole mounted send unit is 3349-17 A9.

Tank Model.jpg

Fuel Send Model.jpg

Ultimately The tank level ports on the Cerbo GX can each be configured to work US tank senders (240 - 30 Ohm) standards; or to configure a custom Ohm resistance range between 0 Ohm and 300 Ohm (requires firmware v2.80 or higher). The tank level inputs are resistive and should be connected to a resistive tank sender. The built-in tank sensor connections do not support mA or 0-5V type sensors, this type will require additional accessories or replacement with a resistive type sensor.

In short, I need to know if my Fuel Sender is Resistance or mA / 0-5v It would be ideal if the specific range of resistance was known. Or, any idea of the manufacturer? Google is leading me down too many rabbit holes without specific knowledge. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fuel (Gas) Send Unit aka fuel level float

Postby bud37 » January 28th, 2024, 12:07 pm

What does it say on the red sticker......there is a nominal resistance number there perhaps.
I have connected Garmin to tank sensors before, just not on a Carver......just connected to the tank terminals at the connection panel and if I remember right all I had to do was tell amts etc after the tank was filled....it has been a few years since that so a bit cloudy. That boat I had installed a complete Garmin backbone thru out though.

Sorry if this is not helpful but all I can remember about it.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » January 28th, 2024, 12:43 pm

postby bud37
What does it say on the red sticker.

Oh, crud, I thought that was a warning label and it did not appear to give that info. See close up. 240-30 Ohms. It looks like I can hook it up with some tinned wire after all. Thanks for pointing out to me. I really missed that one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 28th, 2024, 1:35 pm

Good stuff....that info is generally on these things somewhere.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 28th, 2024, 11:03 pm

You going to monitor all 4 fuel tanks? What else you gonna do with the cerbo?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » January 29th, 2024, 9:57 am

Initially I was going to use it for the Ruuvi Temp sensors, I have purchased 3 and placed them where all my bilge heaters are located:
    Engine Room
    Aft cabin under bed
    V Berth cabin under bed
Additionally it was for monitoring my Victron Skylla IP65 12/70 monitoring (btw very cool to see away from the boat)
Since the installation went so easily, I figured let me look at the fuel tanks, apparently they are also easy since bud37 pointed out the info I needed was on the red tag. So today, I will be hooking up one fuel tank to test and see if it works (using tinned wire 18 AWG) If it does connect and seem to work I will do the following tanks:
    Port Fuel (Gas) 97 gallons
    Starboard Fuel (Gas) 97 gallons
    Aft Fuel (Gas) 145 gallons
    Fresh Water 70 gallons
There are two relays, Analog and digital I/O that can make things happen but no idea on a use case for them just yet. Any suggestions are welcome.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 29th, 2024, 11:09 am

Sounds like your having fun. My 405 has 2 aft tanks. You say your 99 has only 1 aft fuel tank? Knew the 355/356 had 1 large , just figured 406 would be the same as mine.
Yep I have ways to remote monitor things on my boat too. Interesting to see what others do too. Once all set up please post
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “The Project Center”