Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

12V Neutral wiring

Topic author United States of America
pwillis@mail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

12V Neutral wiring

Postby pwillis@mail.com » March 15th, 2024, 2:21 pm

I recently purchased a new electric toilet and I had to upgrade the circuit breaker and wiring for the installation. I have a 1999 406 aft cabin. Is there a "neutral bar" or gang connection for neutral wiring in the bow area of the boat? How about the stern? Thank you!!
1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: 12V Neutral wiring

Postby pepmyster » March 16th, 2024, 6:08 pm

I know in my 360 SS there are buss bars in the stern, also, should be behind your main breaker panels.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 16th, 2024, 10:33 pm

pwillis@mail.com wrote:Source of the post I recently purchased a new electric toilet and I had to upgrade the circuit breaker and wiring for the installation. I have a 1999 406 aft cabin. Is there a "neutral bar" or gang connection for neutral wiring in the bow area of the boat? How about the stern? Thank you!!

Do you mean 12 volt dc, if so there is no neutral per se only a negative , ground side. I think this is what you are talking about , but still to be sure.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

pwillis@mail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby pwillis@mail.com » March 17th, 2024, 11:47 am

Yes, the negative side. I just thought there would be a bus bar or something in one or two areas of the boat. I can't find it.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 17th, 2024, 12:12 pm

I'd be surprised if there wasn't! Hopefully some other 405/406 owners who've done wiring will chime in.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » March 19th, 2024, 4:10 am

You may want to get someone with some experience in electrics if you can't find a negative in a boat....

That was not very kind :blush: to say but:

1) find any other aplliance and follow the leads. But you mention that you had to change the fuses and the wiring, did you only put in a new positive lead then? Why not both at the same time?

2) check and confirm that the points you find are capable of handling the currents that your toilet pulls when in operation.

You don't want to connect to anywhere and hope that furtheron from there to the battery a thinner line was used because the expected load was for a lightbulb, not an electric toilet that can get stuck and the positive doesn't blow the fuse in time before the thin lead starts to melt and burn.

With such potential currents, I'd use new wiring all the way to the fuse box and there connect to the bar and a properly sized fuse.

(also because trouble over time often starts at negative bus bars hidden somewhere and you do not want to have trouble with a toilet. That trouble usually surfaces when the toilet was just used......... :-( ) guess how I know.....
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

pwillis@mail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby pwillis@mail.com » March 19th, 2024, 8:03 am

Thank you!! I did pull a new 10 gauge wire from the toilet controls to the new 20 amp circuit breaker that I put in the panel. On the negative side I used the 10 gauge wire that was used for the old vacuflush system because I couldn't find the negative bus bar. I disconnected the positive side of the old vacuflush system and capped off the old wires and marked them abandoned. Just can't seem to find that negative bus bar!! :banghead: Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice!!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 19th, 2024, 11:54 am

pwillis@mail.com wrote:Source of the post On the negative side I used the 10 gauge wire that was used for the old vacuflush system because I couldn't find the negative bus bar

I think that is the right way. ... :down:

Also I believe that you may have answered your own question about bus bars, as the original was originally wired all the way back to the panel.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 19th, 2024, 10:21 pm

I've found that only recently have most manufacturers installed busbars in areas other than behind the electrical panel and helms. They've been installing main busbars (battery cable bus) in the engine compartments that are easily accessible for hooking up accessories. They also offer the ability to hook up main cables to the bars and minimize multiple cables on battery terminals which is the best way to go.

United States of America
Wsullivan71
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 404 Motor Yacht

Postby Wsullivan71 » March 20th, 2024, 9:57 am

According to the 2002 Carver Owner's Guide:

"Your boat's 12 volt DC electrical system, AC electrical system, and the batteries' negative leads are all connected to the bonding system through buss bars. The buss bars are located in the engine and aft bilge compartments and are connected to the transom-mounted zinc plate."

Return to “The Project Center”