Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AC Discharge Stain Solution

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

AC Discharge Stain Solution

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2024, 6:34 am

Most here know the fibreglass around the AC discharge normally gets stained from the water running/trickling over it. I guess if the pressure is on the high side it may shoot out far enough that this is not an issue for some however on Midnight Sun this is not the case therefor each spring the resulting stain/discoloration is removed however it does require some really intense work to get the area back to new condition.

I have 3 AC outlets, the front is at the water line below the antifouling paint and the rear is under the swim platform once again just above the water line into the antifouling paint and both of these are not an issue. It is the central AC discharge located midship about a foot or so above the water line which is staining the white fibreglass.

Last year my wax guy mentioned some boaters have started to install transparent PPF (paint protection film) just around the affected area. Has anyone here done this and if so what is the outcome. Going to try it this spring after cleanup just before launch.

Are there any other solutions that you know of or have heard about?

Will post some pictures on this thread once PPF is installed unless someone can point me to a better solution.
Last edited by Midnightsun on March 21st, 2024, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: AC Discharge Stain Solution

Postby KyleR » March 21st, 2024, 8:29 am

:popcorn:

Preach it brother! I'm cleaning that area often too!! :banghead:
Last edited by KyleR on March 21st, 2024, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2024, 8:38 am

Have you looked into dripless thru-hulls? Technically they're not dripless but they have a collar that protrudes further out which is designed to divert drips away from the hull. Seachioce has a line called "Mega-Flow", there may be others. Don't know how effective they would be for your application but worth looking into. Some boat manufacturers are using this design exclusively now for all their discharge thru-hull installations.

Here is an example on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.ca/SEACHOICE-Mega-Flow-Dripless-Stainless-Streaking/dp/B07CT9L8YH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2024, 8:57 am

Did not know those existed, thanks. Looks similar to dripless condiment bottle configuration. Will take a peak at how difficult it will be to access and remove the existing unit. May choose to go with one of those and do PPF.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2024, 9:05 am

Why don't you try 3D printing something you can glue onto your current fitting to see if it would do the trick? I've also seen guys stick thin walled tubes into the fitting's opening to extend the discharge out further. It would reduce the size of the opening but whether that would affect the efficiency of the AC unit or not is something you'd have to assess during operation, it may not affect operation that much.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 21st, 2024, 9:21 am

if you spray Starbrite rust stain remover on the stain, it disappears in about 4 minutes.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2024, 9:41 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Why don't you try 3D printing something you can glue onto your current fitting to see if it would do the trick? I've also seen guys stick thin walled tubes into the fitting's opening to extend the discharge out further. It would reduce the size of the opening but whether that would affect the efficiency of the AC unit or not is something you'd have to assess during operation, it may not affect operation that much.

Not a bad idea, could make it tight enough to press fit it in, just a sleeve with a dripless lip on the other end.

Need to see what I am faced with on the boat first which is going to be a few weeks away at best. If the existing thru hull is of the straight variety as opposed to a 90 degree bend then the off the shelf solution you pointed to will be the easiest and most professional way to go and that's also assuming easy access.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2024, 9:45 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post if you spray Starbrite rust stain remover on the stain, it disappears in about 4 minutes.

It's not just the stain, the fibreglass turns mat like which is the difficult part to bring back.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 21st, 2024, 11:15 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post It's not just the stain, the fibreglass turns mat like which is the difficult part to bring back.

I have the staining problem, but not a fiberglass matting problem.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2024, 11:18 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I have the staining problem, but not a fiberglass matting problem.

I will take a picture of it when I eventually get to the boat so you will see what I am talking about. This only occurs around the AC outlet in question.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “The Project Center”