Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

I am about to buy a 1996 Carver Santego 380 - Please help

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
cjblovinlife
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

I am about to buy a 1996 Carver Santego 380 - Please help

Postby cjblovinlife » April 19th, 2024, 5:25 pm

I understand this model is a cored hull correct ? CDRR6037C696

I attached an image of a hull blister should this be a deal breaker ? I will be using this boat on a lake with max waves of 2'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: I am about to buy a 1996 Carver Santego 380 - Please help

Postby Cooler » April 19th, 2024, 6:19 pm

A hull blister is not, IMHO, a deal breaker. It should be repaired by a qualified glass person. If you can negotiate that into the deal, that would be good. The hull, below the waterline is not cored, solid FG. I am confused by the second pic of the blister location. Is that the trim tab just to the aft? What kind of water was the boat sitting in? If you end up doing the blister yourself, be careful. There is a high chance that blister liquid will have an acid element to it. Sand it down flat, fill in with epoxy. Then cover with some Interlux InterProtect 2000, let dry, and then bottom paint. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » April 19th, 2024, 6:31 pm

Great boat! Really like the layout, location of helm, and the walk through in the bridge. Very social vessel. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » April 20th, 2024, 12:59 pm

Welcome Aboard! I agree with Cooler, blisters should not be a deal breaker, but you could negotiate their repair into the deal. In fact, fiberglass boats and blisters are all just part of life. Good luck!
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

cjblovinlife
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby cjblovinlife » April 20th, 2024, 6:11 pm

Thank you so much for your help. Actually the owner is letting me stay on it for the night so I’m crawling all over it and everything seems to be looking great. I was concerned about people saying if the whole number ended in six it was a cord hole, but the owner has every document that ever came with this boat which confirms that you are (not that I would have doubted it )

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » April 20th, 2024, 6:27 pm

The last two digits of the hull number is the year of manufacture and have nothing to do with the hull construction. You are getting a survey, correct? That’s one of the best investments you can make when purchasing a boat.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 20th, 2024, 6:27 pm

cjblovinlife wrote:Source of the post Thank you so much for your help. Actually the owner is letting me stay on it for the night so I’m crawling all over it and everything seems to be looking great. I was concerned about people saying if the whole number ended in six it was a cord hole, but the owner has every document that ever came with this boat which confirms that you are (not that I would have doubted it )

If you're talking about the HIN number ending in a six that's not correct. The last three digits (in your case 696) is a date code when the hull was manufactured, in your case June of 1996.

The reference other people are talking about was some model numbers like 3207 or 3607. Those ending in "07" were NOT cored hulls but others could be. But I don't have the full list of how those translate.

cjblovinlife
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby cjblovinlife » April 20th, 2024, 8:15 pm

Awesome! You guys are great this forum is a godsend

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 20th, 2024, 9:20 pm

Welcome aboard. As mentioned, the blister/s aren't a big deal, at least in the sense that they are not a structural concern. They are though an expensive fix if they are prolific throughout the hull. It's just a very time consuming process to remedy and the products are expensive. If there are just a few localized ones, that's not bad at all. They should be repaired as they can get bigger over time which can lead to more serious problems.

If you think this is the boat for you, get a survey, it's worth the money and you'll need one for insurance anyway. It'll also point out some deficiencies that will help in negotiating a fair purchase price.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 21st, 2024, 11:08 am

Welcome also and good luck with your purchase
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.