Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Welcome to CarverYachtOwners.com!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 46 Voyager
Volvo D9-500’s

Re: Welcome to CarverYachtOwners.com!

Postby vtcats » May 3rd, 2020, 7:02 pm

It was a variety of things. Yes, always like going bigger, but the 396 was gas and the 460 has D9 500hp diesels.
I don’t feel as conscious putting on hours anymore for one.
In addition it was 13 years old when I sold it and was getting to the point where there were much more regular maintenance every year.
I felt I’d rather put money into a newer boat at that time.. which is what I did. Along with keeping it indoors heated for the winters so I can do more projects over the winter as well.
While the projects are never ending I feel much better about doing it to this boat.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 4th, 2020, 5:30 am

It will be rather quiet on the lake as I do know there are a bunch of Canadians who keep their boats on Lake Champlain. This is another example of marina issues/coordination when half the boat owners cannot get to the boats because of the border closure.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » May 4th, 2020, 5:59 am

Absolutely. There are quite a few Canadians at our marina (and shareholders as well). In addition there are quite a few Canadian boats in the heated building where I keep it for the winter.
I grew upon up on the lake and I’m guessing this will be the quietest I’ve ever seen it. At least early spring. Have you heard when or IF there is an expected border re-open date? I also wonder if the locks (north OR south) will open this year.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 4th, 2020, 6:40 am

In Quebec you are allowed to use your boat since waterways are considered federal jurisdiction and there is no restriction set out by them. Marinas are still closed to the public access so unless you trailer then it will be difficult to launch. A good friend of mine lives on Lake St Francis which is part of the St Lawrence Seaway. Quebec on one side, Ontario on the other. Told me yesterday there are quite a few boats on the water so no issue using the boat or parking on your private dock.

As for the Border, the only thing I have heard is Trudeau saying the border is closed until the end of May and will likely get extended. My guess would be July if things improve substantially on both sides. If it continues after July I assume many boats will never see the water this year.

All locks run by Parks Canada are closed until May 31st so the Rideau, Trent and the system leading from the St Lawrence to Lake Champlain are inoperable at least until then. Boaters never get close to lock operators so I guess the decision to close this is a "Parks Canada" blanket policy which covers everything they do.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » May 4th, 2020, 9:31 am

Interesting. I agree if this goes through all of June, it will be a lost summer for most.
I know our marina is offering a refund and free summer storage if you don’t/can’t launch this year.
I truly can’t imagine the toll this is going to ultimately take.
I had hoped to head north this year. Maybe another year. We”ll see.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » May 6th, 2020, 12:54 am

Lets all hope the border is open sooner rather than later. From what I am hearing here Trump is ready to open the border but Trudeau wants to wait a bit.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
FamilyTherapy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 390 CPMY.

Postby FamilyTherapy » August 16th, 2020, 3:28 pm

So excited to join as our dream has come true and we are now the proud owners of a 1993 390 CPMY (aft cabin) with twin diesel Volvo's! We've been life long boaters on Lake Mead and Lake Havasu, and always dreamed of having an ocean boat. Thanks to COVID, we want to live again and being on the ocean is the perfect escape for us. This boat was the perfect find (in Coronado, CA) as it fits the 5 of us (wife 41, myself 39, son 14, daughter 11, and mother-in-law (she wouldn't want me to share ;)). We are cleaning it up, getting the turbochargers repaired, and then will be bringing it up to Channel Islands Marina in CA by our home. Can't wait to spend some quality family time creating new memories and enjoying the amazing ocean at our new ocean condo! We even named the boat "Family Therapy" for that exact reason!!!

Ready to dive into this forum and learn from all of those that are wiser than me, as we already feel overwhelmed and recognize there is a lot to learn when it comes to maintaining, cleaning, and enjoying an ocean boat.

Appreciate being welcomed by all...

Andrew & Holly Sieber
"Family Therapy"
1993 Carver 390 CPMY
Diesel Volvo Penta's
Channel Islands, CA

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 16th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Welcome aboard, definitely a lot to learn but I am sure you will enjoy it. Lots of knowledge and good advice here.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 16th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Welcome board Andrew. And congrats on the new acquisition. :down:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 16th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Welcome to the forum....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”