Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hello All, Newbie here

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
LeapofFaith
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Mariner 32, 600 hours on original Crusader f.w.c. 6kw genset

Hello All, Newbie here

Postby LeapofFaith » February 18th, 2016, 11:02 am

Hello All. This is my first yacht, a 1989 Mariner 32, and it is my live aboard in the spring, summer, and fall. I am excited to read through the previous posts to pick up on any good tips and mods.

I have had her for about a year and all was pretty good for the first summer and I am learning about her systems. She was in great shape when I got her so I have only had to do minor items and upgrades so far. When I bought her, the previous owner claimed "everything works". Well, we all now that isn't true. All of the MAJOR systems worked. I did a lot of fiddeling over the summer. Since she is a live aboard, the first item that didn't work was the shower sump (easy fix / replacement). The horns did not work but once again an easy fix although I am 6'1" tall and crawling in and out from under the helm was fun. The courtesy lights were not working either so that was rectified although someone along the way switch the colors of the 12v wires so it took me a bit to figure out why they were not working. The forward bilge pump switch is not working (big time fix), and I had new front canopy glass made. The cockpit carpet was weathered but instead of getting new snap in carpet, I found a piece of carpet for $80 and cut it to fit and it looks great! I only put that out for guests anyways as full carpet makes engine checks difficult. I re-built the maserator discharge pump at the end of the season but could not get it to prime. I have read that is a common problem unless the black water tank is full in which case then it is self priming.

The interior was updated with all new laminate surfaces, new carpet, reupholstered sleep sofa and seat cushions, new memory foam mattress, and a fresh water head. the refrigerator is only 2 years old and the gen set has only 170 hours on it and is only 3 years old.

So, on my list for this spring is:

Check the port carburetor as it was leaking down at the end of last season. there were no leaks in the lines but I replaced them anyway. I ran a new fuel line from the water separator filter directly to the fuel pump thus eliminating some of the connections to the hard line. It is possible that the anti siphon at the tank is not working? If there is even one at this point.

Replace the fuel senders: As it was only moderately used past owners only put in 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of gas at a time this wearing out that portion of the guages contact area. Above 1/2 a tank it works great but that is when I really don't need to know how much fuel I have left :confused:

Replace all raw water impellers

Obviously new zincs and bottom paint

Underwater lights

Replace the transmission levers as they squeak profusely

Lube or replace the port throttle lever. the sarboard lever is super smooth and as the port is stiff it makes it difficult to move them in sync, especially when docking if I need a little bump in power. It looks simple enough but any tips would be appreciated.

My fathometer bounces around reading all sorts of different depths. I think the transducer was covered with bottom paint ? Does this sound logical? If so, how do I get bottom paint off of it without damaging it?

Ok that is it. My apologize for rambling haha.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Hello All, Newbie here

Postby waybomb » February 18th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Welcome aboard.

Carbs leaking down - these are most likely 4 barrel Rochester carbs. The plugs used on the bottom of the carb to close drilling passages leak. The fix is to clean them up and seal with an epoxy. Search quadrajet leaks in your search engine and I'm sure you'll find a step-by-step pictorial on what to do.

Throttle cables - I have never tried this, but somebody on some other site rigged up a cable lubricating device. Disconnect one end, slide a tight fitting hose over the entire cable, hose clamp it on, leave enough extra hose to hold about a couple of ounces of trans oil, get a air hose with a regulator, and connect the hose up to the air at a very low psi. The oil will be pushed down the cable out the other end. Maybe it works??????

The other issues - somebody else will chime in I'm sure!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
LeapofFaith
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Mariner 32, 600 hours on original Crusader f.w.c. 6kw genset

Re: Hello All, Newbie here

Postby LeapofFaith » February 23rd, 2016, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. My mechanic at the marina did mention the screws on the bottom of the carb and I do have a spare carb so I did get a visual. I probably should epoxy both carbs while I am at it.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”