Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Newbie Frozen in Chicago

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
crashpad
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 32 aft cabin 3207 (year around in water Chicago)

Newbie Frozen in Chicago

Postby crashpad » February 28th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Just joined your awesome group! ..In sept we purchased our 1990 Carver 3207 (aft cabin) in Seneca IL, after 2 short shake down runs, brought her on a 14 hour run up the river through 3 delayed locks to her year around
(in water) home at Marina City Chicago. Shes a great (original mom and pop) boat, with under 800 hours all original and unmolested!

I use her as "crash pad" in the city when I overnight. Beats the 2 hour commute home to the suburbs. And allows me all the joys of summertime family boating in Chicago.

After this short winter, Ive learned much of whats required to keep a boat warm, Engs and pipes unfrozen and liveable in the "arctic". knock on teak, the only issue Im researching is the replacement of a 25 yr old, poorly running Norcold (nevercold) fridge. I will look at RV models and or going to non DC voltage (for cost savings).
Shes mostly at the dock anyway! let me know if Im off base or should drop the $2K+ on a OEM replacement?
Kinda hard to explain to the wife a $2k beer cooler! LOL

Looking forward to Learning and putting my 43 yrs boating of experience to good!

Sandy Rogers
(this below seems weird)
Kayak (lol)
14 ft Sears fisher
Pontoon/25 Evenrude
Malibu euro f3 /Mercruiser inboard
1990 Carver 32 aft cabin (Crashpad) 350/Crusaders

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Newbie Frozen in Chicago

Postby RGrew176 » February 28th, 2016, 9:32 pm

I am in a similar situation with my 81 Carver. The refrigerator is on its last legs. It cools to 43* in the refrigerator section and 21* in the freezer section. I hate the thought of spending so much for a dual voltage fridge and am considering a conventional replacement too. I hope to get one more season out of the original before doing something either a dual or conventional replacement.

It is nice having a dual voltage fridge when spending weekends on the hook but a cooler does the job too.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Newbie Frozen in Chicago

Postby waybomb » February 29th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Welcome aboard.
I replaced the aft deck 12/120 Norcold with a 120vac unit when the Norcold went south.
You may have a problem finding one the same size. The one I put in was larger, but with a little bigger hole and some nice teak trim, it looked original.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”