Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

"INFINITY" Clear Lake, Texas

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
jhasten46
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 396 Aft Cabin

"INFINITY" Clear Lake, Texas

Postby jhasten46 » May 26th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Hi all, my name is Don Hasten! Proud owner (18 months) of the "Infinity" a 2001 Carver 396 Aft Cabin with Twin 375 HP 8.1G Volvo Penta gas engines. Took a year to solve the phantom starboard engine alarm, long story, but got it resolved. My wife, dog, and I made a day trip on Jan. 3, 2016 and on the way back in, a exhaust hose ruptured, setting off the FireBoy Fire Suppression System, all three CO2 Cabin alarms, all three O2 Cabin alarms, the dash mounted Halon Alarm and shut down both engines. We had a fire drill / abandon ship drill in all but a second and a half. Seeing no smoke from the bilge blower vents and collecting our selves and thoughts, we did stay on board, but was adrift and the dog was all tangled up in his life preserver. We were drifting into the shallows out of the channel so needed to start up the engines to stay in the channel. Started port engine with loud engine exhaust noise. Turn port engine off and started up the starboard engine which sounded normal. Got thing under control and underway on the starboard engine all the way back to the slip. Restarted loud port engine long enough to reverse into the slip. My wife was very frayed and upset so I told her that we had just had a very successful trip, every safety onboard had functioned to save the craft and us and were standing on the dock, dry. Just finished replacing all four exhaust risers, every inch of exhaust hose and both exhaust fiberglass tees going to mufflers, one manifold, and the FireBoy Fire Suppression System. Risers and exhaust tees are exclusive to the Carver 396 so these were special order parts. Parts cost near 4K but the vessels name is "INFINITY"! Good thing I'm fair at handling my tools and have a good friend that is a motor head that loves doing that kind of stuff. Labor cost was a couple of dinner and lost count on the amount of beer consumed. All is good now until the next thing comes up. I love the Carver 396. Well build craft with lots of room and all the comforts. She handles like a dream and does very little side drift in cross winds when docking. Our marina has finger pier on both sides that are 16 feet apart. With Swim Deck the Infinity is 15'6" beam, so it's a tight fit. With aid of back up camera to see the swim deck & finger piers, Were able to back it in with little to know problem.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: "INFINITY" Clear Lake, Texas

Postby Viper » May 27th, 2016, 6:59 am

Welcome aboard Texas. That's quite the story :-O So what happened? What caused it?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: "INFINITY" Clear Lake, Texas

Postby waybomb » May 28th, 2016, 8:37 am

So you own a BOAI? Break out another infinity.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”