Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

First "big" boat, brand new member.

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: First "big" boat, brand new member.

Postby RGrew176 » July 20th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Shipfaced1 wrote:Source of the post
RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post I wanted only a dedicated GPS so I ordered mine without the transducer

That is pretty much the exact setup I have been eye balling. I am thinking it will have to wait until next year. I use Navionics on my Iphone when we are out on our current boat, and am fairly impressed with it. Since you have the same boat model can I ask, is there a place to plug the phone in and charge it while underway and still be able to see the screen? I will be bringing the boat from Erie PA to Cleveland next weekend and will need something to help navigate and don't think I want to buy a cheap GPS when I plan on going with a nicer unit next year.

The previous owner put in a 12 volt power point. I have one upstairs in the cockpit and below at the lower helm station. If you don't have one you can go to any boating supply store and buy one. Its easy to install. In fact the one at my upper helm is rusted badly and I intend to replace it soon.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 21st, 2016, 12:16 am

You can buy what they now call 12 volt powerpoints at just about any marine store. I have 2 of them one topside at the helm and one down in the salon at the lower helm station.

This is what I am talking about:

Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Topic author
Shipfaced1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 Carver 3007

Postby Shipfaced1 » July 21st, 2016, 7:56 pm

Thanks Rick.

I may have a few more questions for you after we pick up the boat and start getting to the projects I have in mind.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 22nd, 2016, 2:55 am

Shipfaced1 wrote:Source of the post Thanks Rick.

I may have a few more questions for you after we pick up the boat and start getting to the projects I have in mind.

It will be my privilege to assist in any way I can.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » July 22nd, 2016, 8:54 am

I've been putting these in assorted places. One on the helm,and a pair in what is now a dedicated phone/ipad charging area in the salon, Pretty much plug and play anywhere there was a 12VDC power point (cig lighter). Otherwise simply run a 12VDC pair of wires to it. Upper one is low amps (slow) bottom one is higher amp. Problem was the very minute I threw away to old cig lighter, my Admirel found the tube/float inflator and wondered where we would plug it in now. Yup. The only thing on the boat with a cig lighter plug. Grrrrr..
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » July 24th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Congrats on the step up,
With twin screws you'll be spinning 360's at the dock in no time. Appreciate the winds power to move you and adjust accordingly. And dock at a speed in which you are comfortable with in shrinking another object!
:usa:

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 24th, 2016, 11:46 pm

Most of my experience is with I/O's. My last boat was powered by twin I/O's. Over 12 years of ownership I got to the point where I could put that boat anywhere I chose to. Not wanting to brag but I was great at handling that particular boat. It was a Bayliner 3055 Ciera. One of the great things that Bayliner did with that boat was engine/drive placement. The drives were 5' apart and that greatly improved the handling. I could park/dock it on a dime.

Now I have the 3007 Aft Cabin with twin inboards. Now, everyone tells me that inboards handle better and are easier to handle than I/O's. I will not disagree with that assessment but I am still learning the handling characteristics of twin inboards. Based on where I am currently my Bayliner was easier to handle and it handled better. From what I am told that will change as I gain more experience with the inboards.

It seems that you need a bit more power with inboards. With the I/O's I had on my last boat other than forward and reverse I did everything at idle speeds. Idle speeds do not seem to work when the conditions are windy. It seems that more throttle is needed when maneuvering especially around docks.

What say ye with more inboard experience than me especially with sedans that are more affected by wind.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 25th, 2016, 7:56 am

I came across the lake one time with wind building to the 30 mph range.
This was with the 4207. There is no way that is going into a slip without damage in those conditions.
I radio'd a neighbor. He came out to his dock, I pulled up to the pier, he tossed us a line, tied it midships, swung the back end in like a pendulum.
My neighbor handled the line very well, never bumped a piling.

But yes, sometimes a little extra gas is required, but not much. Take it slow. If you have to, back off and regroup. It's not a talent show. It's parking your boat. Don't worry about the watchers.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » July 25th, 2016, 8:10 pm

The 'Embarrassment' of multiple do'overs while docking will fade much quicker than the bill for repairing fiberglass.
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » July 25th, 2016, 10:18 pm

I've noticed that my quality of docking is inversely related to the number of onlookers. It's a bit of a challenge to stuff a 13 foot boat into a 14 foot slip. On the other hand, once it is part way in, there ain't much to do other than keep backing up.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”