Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Carver Santego Owner

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
Gervs
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego

New Carver Santego Owner

Postby Gervs » September 3rd, 2016, 2:04 am

My wife and I just purchased a 1989 Carver 34 Santego. Very excited about the purchase but I have tons of questions as I am new to this boat. It is powered by twin 454's. The survey came out really good. I want to add a few things and would love some advise. I really want to put a IN-Hull Transducer in for fishing so I don't have to drill holes in the Hull and can do it with the boat in the water as it is not ready for bottom paint yet. Any suggestions for location or personal experience as why I should or should not do it. How do the settee's become beds. I think maybe I am missing some pieces. Is the radar arch hollow for running wires? I will stop there for now and thanks in advance to any of the other Carver Owners that can help a newbie out.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: New Carver Santego Owner

Postby waybomb » September 3rd, 2016, 8:27 am

Welcome aboard!

Can't answer your questions though.

I can't imagine the arch not being hollow. When you do run wires always run an extra pulling wire for next time.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: New Carver Santego Owner

Postby Viper » September 3rd, 2016, 9:31 am

Welcome aboard.

I don't recall ever running into a solid arch either but impossible to tell what's been done by past owners or repairs.

The only caution I have for the ducer install out of the water is that it's difficult to tell what lies directly in front of or under the potential install site. You want to ensure it doesn't get installed above a strake or in an area that is subject to turbulence from a thru-hull or any other hardware mounted further forward. I prefer a ducer in direct contact with water. This also allows for options such as temperature which is an absolute must before the wife will consider sticking one toe in the water! That's kind of important in the great white north. Of course you don't have to worry about that in Florida...I hate you already ;-) You can get a speed option too though many people simply rely on their GPS for that these days. I prefer having both as I like the separate instrument display for speed, temp, and log rather than cluttering up my chart with that data.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”