Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forum Newbie

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
MDA's Friendship
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 440 Aft Cabin; Cummins CT6A's / 420hp

Forum Newbie

Postby MDA's Friendship » September 26th, 2013, 6:26 pm

:captain2: I'm a 1996 Carver 440 AC owner since 2007, based since purchase at Marker 1 Marina in Dunedin, Florida.

Over the last six years I've learned a lot about maintaining / repairing / cursing the myriad issues that are part and parcel of owning a larger vessel. I showed up to my "new" boat toting barely more than a screwdriver and pocketknife, and zero spares; I now possess a relative arsenal of tools and parts that might impress a US Navy Chief.

One thing that's always royally bugged your fellow bilge dweller about this experience is the seemingly endless, time-consuming process of procuring replacement parts and supplies for this beast. I have all the search technology. I know how to use it fairly well, I believe. Is it just because it's a Carver 440? Because it's MY 440?! Or is it just because it floats? The Carver Yachts website is of no help. Dealers don't seem too interested unless you're a recent customer of theirs. Mechanics have been a source of info, but generally only for commonly used replacements that they are going to sell you at full retail anyway. Marina scuttlebutt has been even less fruitful.

If any of my fellow owner/operators out there are keen on stopping the whining, could you help me out by passing along some of your "favorite" websites / online sellers / local (or even distant) marine retailers who can help me out when I'm looking for OEM or even "substitute" OEM parts or supplies? And, remember, "WORST" Marine does not count.

Thanks, folks. Safe and happy cruising to all.

MDA's Friendship

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Forum Newbie

Postby waybomb » September 26th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Welcome!

Like you, I do everything. But I won't do carpets and countertops.

I use ebay quite a bit. But before I buy, I'll check websites like Defender to make sure the low price on ebay is the best price out there.

As for advice, this site should be of help, especially as it grows.

Most parts on your boat aren't made by Carver, just purchased by them. So you don't need Carver for help. They are in the boat building business, not the repair business.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
MDA's Friendship
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 440 Aft Cabin; Cummins CT6A's / 420hp

Re: Forum Newbie

Postby MDA's Friendship » September 26th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Guess the challenge is sourcing their parts. A lot of their 1996 parts (non-powerplant) I have found to be from TaylorMade; but their online catalog hardly lists anything I need, specific to my Carver. It's not as if you can dial in your make and model and find what you're looking for. Seems like they just have generic things like fenders, cleats, hatches, etc.

I've used EBay a lot, but , again it's difficult to find anything specific to my boat. And their search engine sucks, IMO.

But thanks for the reply. I'll keep looking.

Friendship

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”