Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New owner 1985 2667 Santa Cruz

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
RobertM
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Santa Cruz

New owner 1985 2667 Santa Cruz

Postby RobertM » July 17th, 2017, 7:05 pm

I am about to buy a '85 Santa Cruz with a cracked block 350 Chevy for $1500. I called the guy wanting the trailer it was on but have fallen in love with the boat as well. I pick it up tomorrow. Anything out of the ordinary about this boat to check other than the obvious old boat stuff like core rot , ect?
It will be a fun little winter project. I am a sucker for a boat project. :banghead:
I have read about the tipsy nature of this boat but I assume it would be fine inland like I will use it.

Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver santa Cruz 25 or 26 ft...someone tell me
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Re: New owner 1985 2667 Santa Cruz

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » September 29th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Doesn't seem to be a super active forum. Im picking up a carver 2565 this weekend if the transmission shop gets done with my excursion today. Fingers crossed.

Not much to check other than the obvious. I think yours is too new to have the dreaded balsa core rot but i could ne wrong. My late 70s model does have it. So long as damaged coring isnt where you have to remove a cabin to get to it i dont consider it a deal breaker if you're a diy guy. Balsa sheets are cheap, epoxy resin is not but its easier to work with than the poly cheap stuff. Doing sailboat cabin tops just cut out the affected area with a router, coat the balsa and lay it in. Re coat then throw the skin back down.
Sailboats are known for core rot in cabin tops that support 30ft or taller masts so im not sure why power boaters consider soft balsa a death curse. In sailboats you usually reglass from underneath the cabin...doing it from inside the hull will be a walk in the park. It doesn't have to be pretty as youre going to cover it anyway.

As for tipsy im looking at bennett trim tabs 18x24 with controls at both helms to help with that. I like to vacation at the keys and my mom has a place in myrtle beach so sometimes the weather man is wrong in his forecast and i want to be prepared. I am a long time sailor, on sailboats not navy, so your idea of tipy is probably different than mine when it comes to personal comfort. My son and i dont worry unless the windows are only viewing water and the little lady has had enough when her margarita starts to spill.

Im going to address the tipsy issue by installing larger fuel tanks. Id like a total of at least 100 gallons. All that extra fuel in the bottom of the hull will help. Im wanting it moved as far forward as possible but want to play with bags of sand or water bladder first in different locations to be sure what works best. I will be adding. A/c and a generator for weekend trips and week or two vacations

Good weight distribution is a must. Also keep the clan off the fly bridge when in anything other than mirror glass water, a crew up top can make her top heavy.

I plan on adding a 9.9 or 15 hp outboard for trolling and emergency back up as well as a swim platform and ladder, some updated navigation, gauged and sonar fish finder. No need for fancy electronics in the cabin as i can use a phone or tablet or even lap top to navigate as ill never venture far off shore.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 29th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Congrats and welcome aboard guys.

Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » September 30th, 2017, 6:45 am

Thanks dude. Heading out in about an hour to pick up my new to me carver. I originally got it for the trailer (i have a concord owens 27 i need to haul home) but i like the trailerable size of this 26. I don't know how many of you have went through Miami to hit the keys but in my excursion alone its almost like an obstacle course, i couldn't imagine doing it with an 11 ft wide boat.

Jacksonville is only marginally better. If i wanted a full trifecta to achieve certian mental collapse id drive through Atlanta on the way down as well.

If i can future out how to post pics ill snap some this afternoon once she's been hit with a pressure washer.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 30th, 2017, 8:38 am

You're a busy guy! We definitely like pics. Hope everything goes well.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 30th, 2017, 8:45 am

RobertM wrote:Source of the post....It will be a fun little winter project.....

Start a thread for your project and document everything you do. Pictures are always a favourite here. The thread will help others thinking of or in the middle of doing the same thing. Good luck and keep us posted.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » September 30th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Welcome aboard, sounds like a nice winter project ahead. Hope it works out well for you and yes we all like pics.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Ireland
Dohcdelsol93
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Sanjuan 26
Y flyer 18

Postby Dohcdelsol93 » October 1st, 2017, 12:14 pm

Ill have to figure out how to post pics on here. Was supposed to start on her today but instead im pulling axle seals on my excursion. Have to be ready for the race in Charlotte next week.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”