Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New owner 1985 Carver 3607

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
mrac2016
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 3607

Re: New owner 1985 Carver 3607

Postby mrac2016 » December 11th, 2017, 3:46 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Yea, I can't imagine a space heater working to make it comfortable. I have had a 3607 for about 25 years but never have tried living on it in the winter.

At the end and beginning of the season we also use an electric blanket. Only a couple hundred watts and makes sleeping very comfortable. Not as useful in the daytime though.

The difference between a space heater and a reverse-heat A/C... a good space heater on HIGH will provide about 5,000 BTUs of heat with 12 Amps of A/C. A reverse-heat A/C can deliver about 16,000 BTUs with that same 12 amp (but usually even less... more like 9 or 10). Since you're using space heaters I'm assuming you don't have A/C installed on the boat (like me) and you only have one 30 Amp power inlet (like me). You could add another 30A inlet just to power your heating and cooling needs. A 'proper' marine reverse-heat A/C would do OK, but you also need to make sure there is PLENTY of cooling water flowing, as it can freeze up if not flowing enough. If your water temp is below 40, it makes it harder to generate heat but you have a LOT of water surrounding you with heat... you just need to move enough of it through the system.

Tripping breakers might be caused when the water heater kicks in.... in that case, turn the water heater off until about an hour before you need it.

Now, instead of space heaters, think about the portable air conditioners that come with heat. I bought one last year so that the dog could be kept comfortable during hot summer days in the cabin. I bought it used for $200. I built a platform for it on the dinette bench so it would sit higher and plumbed the air discharge through the portlight above the dinette table. IT WORKS GREAT. I also noticed that it provides PLENTY of heat in the late season cool nights. Again, you could put it on a dedicated circuit to handle the continuous power, but we just have it plugged into an outlet and have to manage power when we want to use the coffeemaker or microwave. I have some pics somewhere that I can post. It generates about 16,000 BTU and has a much more powerful fan then the space heaters.

Oh, and second all the comments about shrink or tarp, especially if it's clear... you add a layer of insulation that way and you get a nice 'greenhouse' effect on sunny days too!!

Thanks for the information. I do have A/C and dual 30A service. How can I determine if my A/C is reverse-heat. My apologies for sounding un-intelligent about this, but its my first adventure with a boat this big. thanks again.

Topic author United States of America
mrac2016
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 3607

Postby mrac2016 » December 11th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard.

Do you spend the winter in the water?

Yes, that is my goal. This is my first adventure with a boat this size. I am in the mid-west, so the winters are not too terrible, but sometimes it can get cold.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 11th, 2017, 5:14 pm

You most likely do have reverse heat units but make and model numbesr would help determine that. If the units work and you're at the boat, turn them on to the warmest setting and see what happens. Do they have 3 rotating knobs as controls?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 12th, 2017, 12:12 pm

mrac2016 wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the information. I do have A/C and dual 30A service. How can I determine if my A/C is reverse-heat. My apologies for sounding un-intelligent about this, but its my first adventure with a boat this big. thanks again.

Even if you don't have reverse-cycle AC installed in the boat, you could wire a couple outlets to that second 30A circuit and use two of those portable AC/Heat units I used and have nearly 30,000 BTUs. I am SURE that would keep the boat comfy but I wouldn't want to pay the electric bill!!**

EDIT: **Actually, I just did some math.... running two of those unit like I have, if they cycle on and off 50% of the time, would cost about $116/ mo, which is much less that the cost to heat my house!! Maybe I should move to the boat!! ;)

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”