Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

My new 2000 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Re: My new 2000 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 5th, 2018, 7:03 am

The prop shop in Seattle has me thinking that my props are working too hard near the Hub and too flat at the tips. PO had black smoke issues after changing to these ZFs. He went an inch more diameter but kept the 32.2 pitch so no wonder. He then started pitching down in increments till the smoke cleared. That's where I'm at now. I actually hit a log on the way home to Alaska. I thought for sure it took the running gear out from under me. When I put her back in gear, all seemed normal. So I'm sure I have prop issues. She actually runs ok for the most part. Just doesn't like to run below 1750 without picking up a slight hase out the exhaust and has a slight vibration that feels like a bent shaft or prop. Most guests don't see or feel it but I can. So hoping to explore prop options. I'm in Maldives right now but plan to contact the folks on the katapult you mentioned when I get home.

Topic author United States of America
3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 530 Voyager With Volvo TAMD 122P EDC 610HP

Postby 3dognight » December 5th, 2018, 7:27 am

I have a set of Katapults that were made from me but have yet to put on boat & are being stored at S&S for the winter. I'll install them during the spring haul out and then start testing/tweaking them. I'll use my current set cleaned up and use as spares
RE:log hit
If you haven't had the drive line alignment check you might want to?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 5th, 2018, 7:48 am

I'm farely confident in the alignment on the port. I did the feeler guage trick at the coupler on the stbd and found it off a little. I adjusted accordingly but when I hauled her out last spring for paint, I saw that the shaft is pinching the cuttless on one side a little so I definitely need to fix that. That shaft is a little hard to turn, obviously haha. So have you done your 1,000 hour service yet? I did mine 2 seasons ago. The charge air coolers were very dirty. Tight to get out too. I pulled the injectors and sent them to a local diesel shop that I trust. They checked out good so they just tuned the poppit pressures for me. Adjusting the valves was pretty easy, found a few on the exhaust side that were a few thousandths tight but not alarmingly. I pulled the worst looking turbo and sent it in. It checked out good also so I had them throw a kit in it and I left the other one alone. I ran Barnacle Buster through the raw water side. Wow did that come out dirty. I'm at 1300 hours now and running pretty good. Sure smokes up the marina when I start them up though. My next boat has to have common rail. So much cleaner.

3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 3dognight » December 5th, 2018, 8:21 am

I bought the boat in May with 1600hours on it & the 1000 hr service was done about 5 years ago, PO had the boat for 17 years and put about 100hr a year. It seems he was great with all maintenance items. Mine smoke a little at start up, not as clean as the 12Ltr CAT's i had on my 99 Cruisers but way cleaner the the Cummins 8.3's on my 97 Formula. Just had block heaters installed, may help with cold start smoke?
I'll be doing my first maintenance items this spring, Impellers, All Filters, oil change & testing Maybe belts Also windshield wipers & maybe arms.

I just had new windshield & window covers made as well new Bimini & bridge cover.
I dont keep all the bridge Canvas up as i dont like the added windage so i have covers for all the seating/helm. I have a mooring type cover from the bridge windshield to the base or the arch. I also have a boot for the Bimini when folded. I run most of the time from the lower helm except on really nice days so i can have my gal along side me!

Just got a New Aluminum RIB & outboard. New Glendinning 80' shore cable for Cablemaster.
Mine has a trash compactor & new Dishwasher and im thinking of removing both to add an ice maker & more storage. PO replaced the bridge ice maker with new fridge only. so no ice maker on boat. Right now i use the dishwasher for storage :-D

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 5th, 2018, 9:03 am

Right on! I want a compactor. Thinking of loosing the dishwasher to make room. Side note, make sure you get all 7 gallons oil out. My oil change system only extracts 5 gallons. I have to use the vacuum pump to get the last 2. I put a Seadoo Spark on for a skiff. Loving it so far. Wiper blades, I put 28 inch on instead of the 26 factory ones. Helps a little. I changed all 3 wiper motors, what a pain to reach. This is great, I've never talked to a 530 owner. I've never even seen another one in Alaska. I heard there was a 570 up here somewhere but I've never seen it.

3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 3dognight » December 5th, 2018, 9:30 am

Alaska 530 Voyager wrote:Source of the post This is great, I've never talked to a 530 owner. I've never even seen another one in Alaska. I heard there was a 570 up here somewhere but I've never seen it.
There is a FaceBook group for Carver owners, I'm guessing well over a dozen 530 owners. Dont know how many have the big block Volvo's?
A lot of Carvers in Canada & Pacific NW.
there is even a pair of 530's owned by the same family
https://www.facebook.com/groups/31258280440/

The Spark looks great, but id have an issue the getting the Mutt on it for her beach runs!

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 5th, 2018, 10:05 pm

We have 2 ankle biters that ride the spark. It is challenging. Did S&S make your Katapults 28X32 to match what you have now?

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 5th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Check out what I did on the bridge. I've installed a hard top since this pic was taken. The fire table is great. Fits perfectly and looks good too. Fire table was my wife's idea.
Screenshot_2018-12-06-09-05-27.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 3dognight » December 6th, 2018, 1:54 am

Alaska 530 Voyager wrote:Source of the post We have 2 ankle biters that ride the spark. It is challenging. Did S&S make your Katapults 28X32 to match what you have now?

Yes, S&S is my goto prop shop. 2 location, NYC & Fort Lauderdale & made the new wheels 28x32 as i'm pulling proper RPM now. They have a slight cup to start and we'll see how the run early april

3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 3dognight » December 6th, 2018, 1:56 am

Fire table is insane! 8-)