Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2006 Carver 36 MY purchase pending

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 2006 Carver 36 MY purchase pending

Postby Midnightsun » October 18th, 2018, 6:13 am

I would not worry about the swim platform as it is simply bolted on if I am not mistaken. Replacement/repair should be quite easy as it can be done in a shop, probably quite expensive but easy. Just make sure you get a firm quoted price to have this addressed at the owners expense. In other words the price of the purchase needs to be adjusted to reflect the deducted cost of fixing the swim platform.

When it comes to hard turning prop I would think the cutlass bearing is the culprit there.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2018, 7:12 am

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post.....
- the the aft swim step is water logged....cost of fixing swim step?
Really depends on a number of factors such as door rate, material costs, and extent of damage which won't be known until it's opened up. We don't know the extent of the damage so it's difficult to comment on but you should at least negotiate the purchase price to cover a worse case repair or budget for a repair in the future. If you plan on mounting anything on the platform such as a dinghy, you should have the repair done right away.

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post ....the swim step rub rail is "in the water" with two or more people standing on it......
This is concerning. Sounds like the platform is either mounted too close to the water or there's too much weight back there. Too much weight from carry-ons is one thing and can be managed, but if there is another underlying cause such as a waterlogged hull, that's a real problem. Did the surveyor offer up a possible explanation? During the sea trial, did anybody check to see if the platform was digging into the water when getting up one plane? Is this hull cored?

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post...... port engine prop shift turns hard? motor alignment?....
Could be a number of things from engine alignment, bent shaft, misaligned strut, bad strut bearing, etc. Did you feel any vibration at any rpm range?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 18th, 2018, 9:30 am

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post Currently the boat is moored in Lake Union (fresh water) Previous "second" owner used it more for floating condo than travel, hence the "minor" drive train service. First owner did most of the engine hours.

Currently getting "full compression eval" performed for an additional labor fee... :censored: pull out survey schedualed for next week.

We're hoping for moorage in Seattle Elliot Bay (salt water) for ease of access to surrounding puget sound area destinations without dealing with the locks in Ballard. So far nothing too scary to deal with, but additional surveys pending.

My only observation is, as it sits in the water, the bow seems a little high, and the stern seems low, with a slight list to the starboard side. The aft swim platform/deck lip on starboard side is almost touching the water? In other "web" photos of similiar 366 or 36 aft cabins, the swim step is close, but yet some sit higher? Any insights as to what causes this?

After reading all this again, is the platform one of those extended ones added on or just the factory version??
Seems a bit troubling that two people could push the stern of a 36' boat down....I am thinking you need to look into the water issues at the aft end of the boat a little closer.....good luck man...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 18th, 2018, 11:08 am

What is " +3500K-constant"?

Also, why wouldn't you use rudders while on cruise? I know its fun sometimes to play with throttles for direction control, but not sure there's any value in that.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post I would not worry about the swim platform as it is simply bolted on if I am not mistaken. Replacement/repair should be quite easy as it can be done in a shop, probably quite expensive but easy. Just make sure you get a firm quoted price to have this addressed at the owners expense. In other words the price of the purchase needs to be adjusted to reflect the deducted cost of fixing the swim platform.

When it comes to hard turning prop I would think the cutlass bearing is the culprit there.
initially thought that too, except there's only 217hrs on the bearings, which is why the port engine alignment is in question now. starboard turns easy, from beneath the boat while in dry dock.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post What is " +3500K-constant"?

Also, why wouldn't you use rudders while on cruise? I know its fun sometimes to play with throttles for direction control, but not sure there's any value in that.

we were only doing 7mph

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 18th, 2018, 3:19 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Cliffm wrote:Source of the post Currently the boat is moored in Lake Union (fresh water) Previous "second" owner used it more for floating condo than travel, hence the "minor" drive train service. First owner did most of the engine hours.

Currently getting "full compression eval" performed for an additional labor fee... :censored: pull out survey schedualed for next week.

We're hoping for moorage in Seattle Elliot Bay (salt water) for ease of access to surrounding puget sound area destinations without dealing with the locks in Ballard. So far nothing too scary to deal with, but additional surveys pending.

My only observation is, as it sits in the water, the bow seems a little high, and the stern seems low, with a slight list to the starboard side. The aft swim platform/deck lip on starboard side is almost touching the water? In other "web" photos of similiar 366 or 36 aft cabins, the swim step is close, but yet some sit higher? Any insights as to what causes this?

After reading all this again, is the platform one of those extended ones added on or just the factory version??
Seems a bit troubling that two people could push the stern of a 36' boat down....I am thinking you need to look into the water issues at the aft end of the boat a little closer.....good luck man...

at the time water tank was full, beneath bed, so was HW heater, and starboard side fuel tank quarter full, while port side fuel tank was almost empty. Yesterdays surveyor said factory swim platform, (366 or 36MY the same) was water logged showing high moisture count. There was "old davit mount holes" with just RTV in them!!!

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 18th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
Cliffm wrote:Source of the post.....
- the the aft swim step is water logged....cost of fixing swim step?
Really depends on a number of factors such as door rate, material costs, and extent of damage which won't be known until it's opened up. We don't know the extent of the damage so it's difficult to comment on but you should at least negotiate the purchase price to cover a worse case repair or budget for a repair in the future. If you plan on mounting anything on the platform such as a dinghy, you should have the repair done right away. currently has Davis davit mounts, plus "old holes" with RTV in them them from different mounst? and 3" round access covers with removable covers. De-lamination is right side of factory swim ladder area.

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post ....the swim step rub rail is "in the water" with two or more people standing on it......
This is concerning. Sounds like the platform is either mounted too close to the water or there's too much weight back there. Too much weight from carry-ons is one thing and can be managed, but if there is another underlying cause such as a waterlogged hull, that's a real problem. Did the surveyor offer up a possible explanation? During the sea trial, did anybody check to see if the platform was digging into the water when getting up one plane? Is this hull cored? port fuel tank was empty , starborad tank was 1/4 full, fresh water tank was full as well as HW heater. plus some water in aft bilge due to overflowing aft shower box sump.

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post...... port engine prop shift turns hard? motor alignment?....
Could be a number of things from engine alignment, bent shaft, misaligned strut, bad strut bearing, etc. Did you feel any vibration at any rpm range?
no vibration per-say, both surveyor and broker said it felt normal/smooth. so port engine alignment is in question.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I would expect a vibration with a poor engine alignment. Did you stand in the aft cabin while underway? Sometimes you could pick up a vibration there that isn't noticeable at the helm.

Hours aren't always the deciding factor regarding the condition of a strut bearing. Running conditions, alignment, and previous impacts all affect bearing wear no matter the hours on them.

I know the platform on that model sits pretty close to the water but it shouldn't be submerging that far with people on it and full tanks IMO. The joint would always be wet and it's just a matter of time before the seal fails. Wonder if there's more going on than just a saturated platform. Is there an extension platform added on to the original molded-in platform?

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 21st, 2018, 1:44 pm

Back to the aft swim platform, seller's broker is going to have it opened up and waterlogged balsa replaces with composite.

As the the swim platform position/height above water line, it seems the boat with bow thrusters/diesels sit more level, more bow down/stern up, than the boats with BB/SB V8's and no bow thruster... as far as I can tell, trolling pics on the web.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”