Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2000s 356 Aft - Would You Survey?

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: 2000s 356 Aft - Would You Survey?

Postby RGrew176 » November 2nd, 2018, 3:15 am

Unfortunately I think that every boat purchase is emotional. Like jcoll said you fall in love with the boat and emotion overrules what some would call your common sense. In my boating career I have owned 10 boats. 6 were purchased new the other 4 used. I had to walk away from a few. It was hard because I did like a couple of those boats a lot. When you fall in love with a boat it is difficult to walk away but some times walk away one must do.

What I see in the pictures posted here scares me and just base on the pics I would walk away. Maybe in real life it don't look that bad. Once again I have no saltwater boat experience. All of my boats new and used were freshwater boats. Freshwater is a lot easier on boats than saltwater is.

All I can say to the OP is take the emotion out of the equation and make a decision based on the positives and negatives.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author United States of America
tylerrbrown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tylerrbrown » November 2nd, 2018, 10:30 am

Thank you all for the advice. That's what I figured you would say, and I agree, no reason to spend any money surveying this one. I talked to the seller, and told them I would have to pass. I guess at the right price I would consider it, but $65,000 isn't the right price for me.

Thanks guys!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 2nd, 2018, 10:59 am

You know what is interesting about this....had the owner paid someone to do a clean up down there , there might be a different opinion, cause the rest of the boat looks ok.......looks like some newer hoses, and in the one pic you can see the spare shaft seal...personally I would rather see a boat like that, then you know what you are in for.......good luck on your continuing search.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 7th, 2018, 5:47 pm

I am in agreement with several of the above owners! Don't walk,..run! There is enough corrosion in your pics to cause serious concern. What about the areas where you can't get pics due to limited access? This boat is going to be someone's renovation project. Would not even invest in a survey. I was on a search for a boat from last Aug, till April. There are so many nice freshwater boats out there, but it takes time. Be really careful because there are a lot of hurricane boats out there also. A survey is always a good thing, but wait till you get seriously interested in something. If you find anything in Wisconsin, let me know. I will go take a look at it and save you some travel. I live in Green Bay, WI. USA

Cooler By The Lake!
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 8th, 2018, 1:45 am

Looking at the situation you most likely did the right thing by walking away. Just to clarify my stance obviously you would only pay for a survey on a boat once you get serious enough to consider an offer. You can't survey or would want to survey every boat you look at. That would get expensive.

Good luck in your continuing search. There is a boat out there for you just waiting for you to find it.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 18th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Run away! I have a 22 year old Carver 355 that has been in salt and brackish water. It is spotless and Bristol down below. I have all the maintenance receipts and major repair receipts. You might get a good deal on the purchase price, but you will pay many times over for maintenance.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”