Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

First Power Boat

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: First Power Boat

Postby Tireless » March 4th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Most of the curtain hangers up my may are usually under motor, not sail. Power is the way to go for sure. You want to have a nice trip, but you do want to get therein a reasonable time. However, they do say it is very peaceful. Anyone I know that has gone from sail to power believe they made the right choice. To each their own.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 4th, 2019, 4:50 pm

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the boss , we would have had a sail boat years ago now.....raced for quite a while with a guy at the club, did the committee boat thing......I really loved it but now the body would not take it, don't think one is more expensive than the other, there are lots of pretty little things to rig your sailboat with believe me, other than gas,...... sails, winches,tracks,cars,pulleys,new sheets etc, etc....... :-D ..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » March 4th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Woah Cooler you've spent time on this. I've always thought snail boating was peaceful but getting excited over 8 knots was funny to me. But I figured the blow boaters were laughing at my gas bill. Maybe knot. I will say this, being on the water no matter what we are floating on connects us all. $$ be damned. -6 this am. Not sure about 4/15.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 4th, 2019, 10:53 pm

I used to work with a guy at Ford. He was a sailor. He was a competitive sailor having sailed in the Port Huron to Mackinaw sail races. He spent $5000 every other season replacing his sails. This was back in the 80's and we all know that what things cost then cost more now.

Sailing is not an inexpensive undertaking by any means.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 5th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Sadey - no time spent at all. I used to sail in the 80's. Made a mistake one time thinking my wife could not hear me as we were coming into the dock, and she was posing for a picture being taken by a relative on shore. I yelled....as soon as it came out of my mouth....I knew I should have just hit whatever was there. Snail boating is peaceful, until somebody yells. The boats also shrink. When you look forward 10 miles to see the image of a shore, and then you look back 10 miles to see the other image of the shore, the 30 ft boat seems like 10 ft. You do get excited about 8 knts. because 90% of the time you're going 3 to 4 knts. I like sail boaters, I even go out and tow them in occasionally. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » March 5th, 2019, 8:34 pm

49 degrees on Saturday in shy town! Now that is something we all can get excited about!
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Topic author United States of America
Tomb266
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 430 cockpit MY

Postby Tomb266 » March 6th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Well, nice to see the debate continues over sail/power. :captain2: Personally, there is the other side of being cold and wet while trying to get somewhere and feeling like you are always headed away from your destination. Ghee, listen to me, sounding like a hardcore power boat! I feel the change happening. :-D

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 7th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Your post made me think of the Hook Race last year. It finishes at our marina, and the "winner" was on the water for 44 hours. Wind in exactly the wrong direction, then no wind, then downpour rain, etc. When those crews got parked, everything got hauled out to air dry, and I mean everything, from cabin seat cushions to crew underwear. It looked like a neighborhood that just went through a hurricane. The general consensus of crews that finished "never, ever, again". 48 boats started in Racine, 5 finished. Tomb - there is another characteristic to your evolution, you will drink less wine, and more rum,tequila. :drunk: Be careful with that! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm

So please tell, wind in wrong direction, no wind and 48hrs later. The distance covered was? My guess is 25 miles. :popcorn:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 7th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Wind on the nose for three days, thats a huge amount of winching.... :-O ....I'm game and so my guess would be somewhere around 165 miles...DMG +..... not counting tacks......... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”