Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Nevada Newbie

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
duhlhorn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1980 Sterling 21' Jetboat

Nevada Newbie

Postby duhlhorn » March 3rd, 2019, 3:28 am

Hi Gang, I have been looking for a midsize cruiser for several years, I want to keep it up at Lake Tahoe during the summers. and probably drydock it in my yard during the winters. I really like the Carver Santego 3467. I would appreciate any info regarding recurring issues with this model, general maintenance tips etc. I am also wondering whether or not you all think this is a trailerable boat, I plan on trailering it to and from Tahoe, a distance of about 60-80 miles, at the beginning and end of the season. If so what do you think it will need in the way of a towing rig?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Nevada Newbie

Postby bud37 » March 3rd, 2019, 6:39 am

Welcome to the forum.... If you are considering the 340 Santego.....according to the specs,that boat if from the early 90's is over 13' wide and 16000#'s dry.It changed around 91 to 11' beam and around 12000#. You would have to check your local laws, you can trailer pretty much anything actually. Would you hire someone to move or are you thinking you can do this ??

Here is a link to some specs etc for you.......https://www.carveryachts.com/support/brochures-specs/
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » March 3rd, 2019, 7:38 am

Welcome!!!! Good luck with your search!!!!!!!! :captain2:

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 3rd, 2019, 12:00 pm

Duhlhorn - I slip my boat 60 miles north of where I store it. I hire a transporter to pick it up and launch at each end of a season. Cost of trailer and towing vehicle is prohibitive for twice a year. He also is the mechanic that services the engines. My Mariner is the maximum height he will transport, due to restrictions of overpasses in our area. The 34 Santego is about 3 ft higher than a Mariner, if it is the pre '91 model. You may first want to contact transporters and inquire to their capabilities, along with an estimate of cost. I am fortunate because my transporter is very reasonably priced as this service feeds into his storage business. You may find that storing near marina makes more sense. Also, if the boat has V drives or inboard, you will need to have it lifted out of the water and placed on the trailer, so add that cost to your analysis. As far as any recurring issues with Santego's, I am not aware of anything negative. Great boat! It is all about the way it was cared for during it's life. Welcome, and good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » March 3rd, 2019, 2:05 pm

Welcome aboard! Since your saying it’s a Santego 3467, I’m assuming it’s either an 88,89 or 90 model year. These years had the largest Santego’s. The 3467 had an LOA approximately 41 feet and a beam of 13 feet. It’s going to be over height (14 feet for NV) and overwidth (102 inches) and require permits to move it down the highway. If you’re thinking of something you can go to your local dealer and get a boat trailer and tow with your 3/4 ton pickup and do it safely...forget it. If you’re considering hiring a professional, then anything’s possible if your willing to pay for it. Towing it 60-80 miles at its size is most likely going to require a semi tractor trailer unit.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 4th, 2019, 10:19 pm

That is not a "trailable boat". Most states require a permit for anything over 8'6" wide. Then as mentioned previously you have height and weight that will be strikes two and three.
about 10 years ago I sold a Carver 2757 Montego on E-Bay. Although counter intuitive to my sale, I talked several buyers out of the purchase as they thought a "little 27 footer" would be trailer able. weighing 7500+ lbs dry and a beam of 10'6" LOA of 31' it was nothing you want to tow on a regular basis. A nice guy from Alabama bought the boat, was very surprised at the cost to load and transport it to Alabama from Maryland, even though I warned him and asked him to check prices. When he took delivery, he called me and said, and I quote " your were right, this is one big dam boat!" This one ended well, he was very happy with the purchase and stayed in contact for a couple years.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”