Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Nav

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
tomtomterrific
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 carver riviera 28

New Nav

Postby tomtomterrific » March 26th, 2019, 7:05 am

Ahoy again,

I'm installing new Radar and MFD, replacing the old speedo and depth sounder.

Q - Would you remove the old through hulls?

How big of a DIY is it? I've done fiberglass work before but nothing as critical as a hull repair.

Cheers,
Cap't Tom

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New Nav

Postby km1125 » March 26th, 2019, 9:55 am

I would only remove them if you have something else to put in their place. Won't you need a transducer for depth info?

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 26th, 2019, 10:18 am

Check the frequency of the new and old sounders. Maybe the old ones are compatible with the new equipment, and save yourself a lot of time and money. If it's the same manufacturer, sometimes the plugs will match. If it's different, you can often just splice the coax cable (something like a BNC connector) and the new sounder will work with the old 'ducer. Lots of 'ducers are either around 50-80KHz (deep water) or around 200KHz (shallow water), or both (dual frequency). The old transducer will work with a new unit if the frequencies are close. HOWEVER (there's always a catch!). Newer sounders using CHIRP or side-scan require specialized 'ducers and older models usually won't work with the new technology.

Good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » March 26th, 2019, 10:33 am

Unless they are in the way of your new installation or are leaking, I would just leave them in. Lots of boats out there with old installations in their hulls. I would also consider what SplashyLady says, you never know, but there is a thing called "designed obsolescence" and you will find that the old will not mix with the new very well. That's how these tech companies make their money. I am currently looking to refit my boat with a new MFD and I am running into the same thing with the sonar and radar. Good luck...

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 26th, 2019, 7:16 pm

What system are you installing?

I don't recall what the '86 Riviera had for a hull...cored, solid glass? This would help my decision on whether I would remove the old ducers. If it's a cored hull, I would definitely remove the old ducers. Cored or not, if there are any signs they have been leaking, remove them.

United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » March 26th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Our boat had all Raymarine and we replaced with same. We had to purchase an ITC5 to use the old speed and depth ducer on the new Ray MFD. We also had a new chirp installed to take advantage of the MFDs capabilities. Overkill yes and cool factor high. If we had not used the old ducers we would have left them in place and zip tied the wires. No need to cause a problem where there isn’t one. The thought process was the hole might not be the same size for the new ducer so for minimal cost redundancy was added.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

tomtomterrific
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tomtomterrific » March 29th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Thanks everyone -

The old speedo and depth sounder units are mid 80's vintage and the old radar was Raytheon (pre RayMarine) probably also mid 80's vintage - no sign of leaks.

The new sounder is a transom mount. No new holes or reusing the old hole. Sounds like the consensus would be tidy up the old wiring and leave the old units in place!

Much appreciated!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 29th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Hey Tom, a transom mount transducer on an inboard boat is pretty useless unless you are barely moving. It will see the bubbles and such from the propwash and give you crazy readings. The transducer always needs to be forward of the props.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 29th, 2019, 10:19 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Hey Tom, a transom mount transducer on an inboard boat is pretty useless unless you are barely moving. It will see the bubbles and such from the propwash and give you crazy readings. The transducer always needs to be forward of the props.

+1

tomtomterrific
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tomtomterrific » April 7th, 2019, 6:02 pm

I took tomschauers advice and got a through hull transducer. The old ducer has a 2-1/2" diameter at the edges of the flange. My new unit requires a 3-1/8" hole. My plan is to cut the 3-1/8" hole from outside the hull by going straight through the existing ducer, with the hole saw outside the existing 2-1/2" flange, with the old unit inplacew ehile I do this.. (it's very difficult to access it from the bilge to remove) Appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Is this a good idea? Thanks, Tom

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”