Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

switch on galley wall

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Ron McLaughlin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 carver voyager 28'

switch on galley wall

Postby Ron McLaughlin » June 13th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I have owned a 28' voyager for a couple of years now and am in the total restore mode of this vessel. There is a switch on the rear bulkhead wall of the galley above the fridge that I have no idea what it is for. The manual doesn't seem to address this. Can anyone assist?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: switch on galley wall

Postby buster53 » June 13th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Do you have any lights that aren't turning on? On my boat, I have a salon fan, which I never use and really don't understand why Carver installed it. Any chance you have a dead fan connected to that switch?
Could you have an engine room light?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 13th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Ron.....now we had an 83 28' a long, long time ago and it seems to me there was a switch that turned some tube lights on that were behind the valance by the drapery slides.....side windows. Now ours was the mariner with no lower station ......galley and head at the front, pull out couch and dinette at the back.

Like I said, long time ago and memory just may be a smidgeon fuzzy..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » June 13th, 2019, 9:57 pm

bud37 wrote:Welcome to the forum Ron.....now we had an 83 28' a long, long time ago and it seems to me there was a switch that turned some tube lights on that were behind the valance by the drapery slides.....side windows.D

Good call bud. If there are some out of the way fluorescent fixtures, there's a real good chance there is a switch on the fixture as well as the switch on the bulkhead. Obviously, both switches have to be turned on.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 14th, 2019, 7:52 am

hi buster all of the 356/406 models that i have seen have the salon fan if the salon windows are not sliders like my 405 or the 355 models. the fan was there to bring in outside air since you can not slide open the large windows. i can slide open my windows for fresh air which we love to be able to do and i have no such fan installed by carver in the salon.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Ron McLaughlin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ron McLaughlin » June 14th, 2019, 7:40 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Do you have any lights that aren't turning on? On my boat, I have a salon fan, which I never use and really don't understand why Carver installed it. Any chance you have a dead fan connected to that switch?
Could you have an engine room light?

Thank you. I have sliding windows down both sides so I won't have a salon fan, but I haven't checked the engine room for a light yet. Will check next time I go out.

Ron McLaughlin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ron McLaughlin » June 14th, 2019, 7:46 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the forum Ron.....now we had an 83 28' a long, long time ago and it seems to me there was a switch that turned some tube lights on that were behind the valance by the drapery slides.....side windows. Now ours was the mariner with no lower station ......galley and head at the front, pull out couch and dinette at the back.

Like I said, long time ago and memory just may be a smidgeon fuzzy..... :-D

Thanks, there are no tube lights behind the valance, but you made me think of something. I have always turned the salon lights on by the main panel only. I might be able to leave the breaker on and turn the lights off by that switch. I will try that the next time I go out.

Ron McLaughlin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ron McLaughlin » June 14th, 2019, 7:58 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post hi buster all of the 356/406 models that i have seen have the salon fan if the salon windows are not sliders like my 405 or the 355 models. the fan was there to bring in outside air since you can not slide open the large windows. i can slide open my windows for fresh air which we love to be able to do and i have no such fan installed by carver in the salon.

Thank you for the post. I have sliding windows down both sides so there is no fan, but I am going to test the switch with the salon lights. I have always turned them on by the main panel only. I will try this next time i'm out.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » June 14th, 2019, 9:30 pm

You shouldn't have to turn on any lights at the panel.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”