Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 366

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Stevie B
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Carver 366

Postby Stevie B » August 13th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Good evening,

Just joined your site, thank you for having me. I am currently looking at a 2003 Carver 366 Aft Cabin that has twin 8.1 Volvo engines. Feedback on these engines would be extremely helpful.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver 366

Postby tomschauer » August 13th, 2019, 10:33 pm

The Volvo 8.1's are a GM 496 long block. All the marinized gas engines of recent years are GM blocks. mercury, crusader or Volvo. So they are all pretty solid. Parts for Mercury are usually a bit cheaper than Volvo or crusader. I would not shy away from any of them because of brand. So long as they were maintained, you should be ok.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 13th, 2019, 10:57 pm

I've got the 356 with 8.1 Crusaders. As mentioned, both Volvo and Crusader use the GM 496 block which is a solid engine. As with my boat, engine room is going to be tight. Maybe the 366 might have a tad bit more room, but don't know for sure.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » August 21st, 2019, 10:14 am

I had Volvo 7.4's for 20 years and 974 hours. Never had anything break down, just regular maintenance. Never even burned a drop of oil. I now have Crusaders. Love them also. Of all the boaters I know with 8.1's, they all love 'em. Plenty of power, but thirsty. Find out what kind of gas the PO burned. If he ran ethanol gas, make sure to test fuel injectors for flow and even spray. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”