Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Carver Owner Needing Help With Controls

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
wallybudz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 30 Santego
(2) x 5.7 Mercruiser
(2) x Mercruiser Alfa1

New Carver Owner Needing Help With Controls

Postby wallybudz » September 15th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Hello!

I am a new to us owner of a 1989 30 Carver Santiago. The Boat is in crazy well maintained condition for a 30 year old craft.

We purchased the boat in Sacramento and I took it on it's "maiden Voyage" to our slip 50± river miles to our slip in Isleton on the Sacramento Delta.

The boat ran perfectly, minus the controls, especially on the port side are pretty stiff.

I want to replace the controls and cables before I take it out again.

Are there any recommendations as to the best control replacement and cables to purchase?

I looked online and there are a bunch of choices.

I think the controls in place are the original equipment. The cables are clearly labeled as 25 foot in length.

We would like a neutral warm-up feature.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Wally Budz

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: New Carver Owner Needing Help With Controls

Postby Viper » September 16th, 2019, 6:50 am

Congrats Wally and welcome aboard.

Before you replace the upper cables and control, disconnect the cables at the engine then try shifting (with engines off). If they shift smoothly it's likely your lower cables that need replacing which is pretty common on those, more so than the upper cables. You can confirm by removing the lower cable at the engine nd try shifting by pushing and pulling it in and out. If it requires a lot of effort to shift, the lower cables are your problem. This will require that the drives be removed which is a good thing as it affords the ability to check other hardware such as the gimbal bearings, input shaft seals, u-joints, etc. If you're going there, consider everything in that area so you only do things once, such as trim/limit senders, bellows, etc.

Your current control will have a warm-up/throttle only feature. Depending on the model, there will be a button at the pivot point at the bottom of the lever that you push in then move the lever forward. On other models, you pull the lever outward at the pivot point for throttle only. Once you return the lever back to neutral, it will come out of throttle only mode.

Post a picture of the controls or the model number.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 16th, 2019, 10:36 am

+1 with Viper's response. He is da man! If you do need cables, Teleflex makes an excellent cable. Get the extra flex upgraded version. Adds $10, but well worth it. That way you will avoid any kink if there are any tight corners to deal with, and they overall construction is a little better. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 16th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Cable brand called EXTREME, friend put them in the same boat you have and oh what a difference. He also installed new shifters before the cables, and the shifters were fine he thinks after the cable replacements. I think there also some issues with the cables in the outdrives, especially if they are Volvo Penta OD's. That may be where Viper was referring to the lower cables?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 16th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Mercs have two shift cables per side; an upper from the control to the engine, and the lower from engine to the drive. This lower is the one that usually fails. For the upper cable go with Extreme, for the lower cable go with a Merc OEM cable only IMO.

Volvos have only one shift cable from the control to the drive.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » September 17th, 2019, 1:16 am

Ya gotta love all the knowledge here in this fine group. Someone will always come through with an answer to a question.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”