Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Just joined... Thank you

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Just joined... Thank you

Postby Tireless » February 3rd, 2020, 11:40 am

Just by way of a comparison. Last year a group of us went from home port, Port Severn, through the small craft route, Parry Sound, Kilbear, Midland and return over a period of a week. We more or less ran at 6-8 knots during the trip.

One of the boats I was travelling with was a 1999 Carver 356 with 8.1's. I am running the Carver 44 CMY with Volvo Penta D6's. We both ran same route.

I burned $400 in fuel and my friend burned just over $1000.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 3rd, 2020, 2:11 pm

I hear what everyone is saying about long distances between some fuel stops. The 356 gas, carries 300 gallons. At 7-8 knots, I'm positive that boat would easily cover 400 miles, maybe even 450.

If the OP decides on a twin gas boat, the 356 is about as big as I would go. Closer to 40, go diesel.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 3rd, 2020, 8:03 pm

Welcome to the gang! If fuel consumption is the primary concern, than I would highly recommend diesel(s). A friend of mine had a 38 Sea Ray MY with 7.4 Mercs. Ran it one season and was shocked by fuel consumption. Got lucky as someone offered to buy that boat. My friend purchased the same model, but 2 ft bigger with diesels. Cut his fuel expense in half. I wasn't sure if that was right, but looking at Tireless comments above, it now makes more sense. Both boats were run the same way. The big block gas engines don't really offer much in low RPM fuel efficiency. They are thirsty at low RPM's. A mechanic told me they need to run at 3200RPM + to get any fuel efficiency. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 3rd, 2020, 10:03 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Both boats were run the same way. The big block gas engines don't really offer much in low RPM fuel efficiency. They are thirsty at low RPM's. A mechanic told me they need to run at 3200RPM + to get any fuel efficiency. Good luck! 8-) er

No question that diesels are much more fuel efficient, but I disagree with the statement that gas engines don't offer much in low RPM efficiency. Typical gas powered boats will double their range (miles per gallon) running at hull speed vs cruising speed. Just look at any boating magazine that publishes engine data, i.e.: speed, rpm's, gas usage, etc.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 3rd, 2020, 10:50 pm

Good friends of ours had a 2008 Regal 38 express with 8.1 496 merc magnums and B3 drives. They loved the boat, but cruised a lot and the fuel use and range was terrible. They bought the same model regal 2010 year with volvo D4 diesels and duoprop outdrives. Fuel consumption is less than half and range more than twice as far. Of course, its not as fast though. They are, however, very happy with it.

Topic author United States of America
PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 356 with 8.1L Gi Volvo Pentas

Postby PoppyTortuga » February 4th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Wow! What great information. Thank you everyone. After reading all your posts and considering everything I've read on gas vs. diesel the Admiral and I will be looking for a diesel. I don't see a lot of Carver diesels but that will be our focus as we extend our range to find them. I may not get my single diesel with thruster but a twin Carver diesel will do VERY nicely. As with any boat it's all about a trade off. Dare I say, a quid pro quo :-D

United States of America
Fuelflownormal
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 356

Postby Fuelflownormal » April 13th, 2022, 6:51 am

New owner. 1999 356 with 7.4 injected Crusaders. No fuel flow gauge. 300 nm delivery trip. What’s the sweet spot for economy cruise?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 13th, 2022, 8:29 am

Fuelflownormal wrote:Source of the post New owner. 1999 356 with 7.4 injected Crusaders. No fuel flow gauge. 300 nm delivery trip. What’s the sweet spot for economy cruise?

Just guessing based on similar boats, but probably in the 20-22 MPH range.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » April 13th, 2022, 11:31 am

All boats are different due to condition and water action. Generally speaking, my tests illustrated a 3100 RPM as the sweet spot. Might be a touch higher on 7.4 FI. I have 5.7 carbed Crusaders. MPH at 19 in 2 foot waves. Good luck. That is a lengthy trip. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » April 14th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Welcome to the group. I have nothing to add regarding gas vs diesel but for learning how to drive twin engines, the Captain and I (having no power boat experience) found Boating with the Dawsons to be a great resource. https://www.boatingwithdawsons.com/ I have had a few great conversations with both Doug and Brenda.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”