Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Just joined... Thank you

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 356 with 8.1L Gi Volvo Pentas

Just joined... Thank you

Postby PoppyTortuga » February 2nd, 2020, 12:52 pm

Hello Captains,

Just joining the group and excited to learn and grow my Carver knowledge. I'll be retiring in just over 2 years and my wife and I are currently looking for our liveaboard boat. We have owned a couple sail boats and one power over the last 20 years and are currently boatless. We would like to purchase soon so we can get everything ship shape in the next 2 summers for our next planned adventure, i.e. the Great American Loop. We rent now and are simplifying our lives in preparation of a July 2022 departure from our home port near Rochester, NY. I have been looking mostly at single diesel with bow thrusters in the 35'-40' range. My wife, I'm sorry, the Admiral, has her eyes on all these beautiful Carvers. So, happy wife/happy life, I need to "get my learning on" with twins, possibly no bow thruster, and gas engine??? I'm open to anything as long as I'm on the water. We just looked a beautiful 356 with 7.4 Mercruisers. Wow! Very nice. I now see what my wife (sorry, the Admiral) has in mind and I'll need your knowledge to make this happen. So far I/we like the 356, 405, and those with cockpits for the extra storage space. My biggest concerns are fuel consumption. If anyone can provide me some numbers in GPH for the 7.4 Merc or the Crusaders while crusing at around 6-8 knots. Also, is there any problems with going this slow, plowing, for long distances? There's lots of canals/locks, etc. in our planned route. Also, I know Carvers come in diesel too but I don't see many of them. Just collecting data for now. Thanks in advance. Fair winds to all.

Captain Poppy :captain2:

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Just joined... Thank you

Postby waybomb » February 2nd, 2020, 1:32 pm

Welcome aboard!

Only thing I have to add is that when you get around a 40 footer, you will appreciate the diesels. Had a 4207 with gas engines - sold it because I did not feel safe in it in any big weather.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » February 2nd, 2020, 3:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, for the loop, diesels are a must especially after the 40' mark. They are more efficient than gas and diesels will keep your costs down. Its okay to run your boat at 6-8 knots, as that is what the loop will ask for more times than not. There is a lot of channel work, especially up in our neck of the woods. However, diesels like to run and I advise that you would do that from time to time as it will help to keep them clean. Run a fuel additive, like Stanadyne High Performance, that would help a great deal.

The 396 or the Carver 444 CMY would be a nice size, thats what I have and it is great to be on for long periods of time. Anything 40' and up is what I would recommend, but the cockpit is a really nice option.

A diesel will cost you more to purchase over gas, however, they as I said are more efficient and have a longer shelf life.

Happy hunting and keeps posted,

Greg

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 2nd, 2020, 4:48 pm

Ok, I have a 356 and while I have no desire to do the loop, I can see it being comfortable for 2 people. I have Crusader 8.1's in my boat and you can cruise comfortably at around 7-8 knots at 12-1300 RPM's. I have not checked my fuel mileage, but if you google Mercs and Crusaders, you can get GPH figures for both engines and with a little math work, figure out an approximate MPG. Both engines are going to be pretty close to the same fuel usage. They are both GM blocks.
I know 3 couples who have done the loop. 2 in 45' Bayliner pilothouse and 1 in a 38' Bayliner
motor yacht. All with diesels. Most do the loop in diesels.
With twin engines, you will do just fine without thrusters.
Love my Crusaders. I have the 385 HP model. With a clean bottom and running gear, I can top out at 35 MPH. I usually cruise around 20-21 mph.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 2nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

I might add, some years ago, we had a Carver 3807 with carborated 7.4 Mercs. Those engines were gas hogs, especially in that boat. Fuel injection makes a big difference and my 356 being a couple feet shorter and 2-3000 lbs lighter, really helps with fuel mileage. I'm almost positive I get at least 50% better fuel economy in my 356 over my old 3807.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » February 2nd, 2020, 5:23 pm

Buster53, I agree the 356 is a great boat, I had one for 8 years before obtaining what I have now. The admiral and I went on many trips for 2 weeks or more to the North Channel and back in great comfort. However, I have noticed a fuel consumption difference. I loved my 356 and the current owners love it as well. I would have done the loop in the 356 for size, diesels get my vote for sure.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 2nd, 2020, 6:54 pm

Welcome to the forum......

Just my opinion here....all things being equal ( HP ), the boat with the longer waterline length will be faster at hull speed, therefore more fuel efficient, gas or diesel.

Some advantages of the diesel can be fuel range.....some areas you may have to travel quite a distance between fuel stops.....another is the slow/close quarters handling advantage with the low speed grunt with the larger props.There are others.

With you coming from sail, you may be used to seeing a low hp diesel getting 10 to 15,000 hours. These newer higher HP/higher rpm turbo diesels do not get you hours even close to that.

I would consider the longest boat you can get, ......good luck with your search.... :down:
Last edited by bud37 on February 3rd, 2020, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 3rd, 2020, 1:52 am

You've come to the right place to get great information as already posted. Keep us posted during your search for the perfect Carver and of course after. Especially when you get to doing the loop. And, we like pics when you get to that point.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 3rd, 2020, 5:39 am

Diesels for sure. This is where they are most economical, slow speed. A trip like the loop the diesels will pay for themselves in no time. Welcome to the forum. :captain2:

I am curious to see what my planned Georgian Bay trip will cost this summer. Did the same trip in my 32' Avanti with twin 383 gas magnums a few years back. Cost $5,000 in gas. My friend did the same trip just behind me with his 37' Formula Express cruiser with twin 8.1 gassers to the tune of $8,000 :-O I am anticipating maybe $2500, will chime in after summer is over assuming we do the trip. :beergood:

Here is a great starting place when considering the loop. https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx? ... =948087173
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating