Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hello Everyone

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
TromainWy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: No vessel yet. I have my eye on a 1986 3607.

Hello Everyone

Postby TromainWy » February 26th, 2020, 7:12 am

I don't own a Carver, or any boat for that matter. I'm a potential future owner, shopping for information at this point, and this forum looks like a great resource.

I live in Wyoming so there aren't many waterways that most Carvers would be a good fit in. My wife and I are looking at a mid 80's Carver 3607 as a potential loop vessel. We're about 8 years away from retirement and the loop is one of the things we're planning on doing. We've done a lot of camping in a small A frame pop up so a 36 foot vessel would be luxurious for us. The way I see it a yacht is just a big water camper with more leaks.

I grew up around the water in Florida and we take a lot of water born vacations that involve boating so I have some experience but not a lot. Our current plan is to find a 3607 with a decent hull and decks and have it moved to our property in Wyoming so we can gut and restore it over several years. We have a lot of space and all the tools for an extensive project like this. I have a decent amount of fabrication and mechanical skills and nothing I've seen to this point scares me off the idea. Honestly, it just looks like a fun project.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. I'll be poking around this forum asking silly questions about surveyors and shipping over land that may be common sense to many of you so keep in mind I'm a newbie.

My wife and I will be in Fort Myers in August so if there is anyone here with a 3607 that would like to take us out for an afternoon I'll cover the gas and food bill. I'd love some first hand experience with an owner.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by TromainWy on February 26th, 2020, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby waybomb » February 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Welcome aboard. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 26th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I have a 3607 (1983). I've never transported it over land, but would think you'd have to remove the bridge to get clearance. If you're planning on doing restoration that wouldn't present a problem though. You could likely leave the throttle and shift cables and steering connected and just remove those from the helm. What wiring doesn't have quick-disconnects could just be cut and spliced later. When restoring, you could plan for having to remove the bridge and just put in the proper quick disconnnects or terminal blocks so that they could be removed and replaced at any point. There are really three assemblies that make up the bridge. The bridge coaming (what you see from the outside that you'd call 'the bridge'), the helm, and the port side seating/storage. All three can get removed from the boat separately but often the wiring is intertwined.

What might be nice for a loop boat in this model is the single inboard diesel option. I've only heard of ONE in existence but I'm sure there are others. You could fab in bow and stern thrusters and have a very maneuverable boat that is great on fuel economy. All the 3607s that I'm familiar with have the twin 350HP Crusaders, which are great engines.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 26th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Welcome. Hopefully the boat you choose has LESS leaks than a camper, as campers don't sink when they leak, as boats tend to! :lol:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 26th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Welcome aboard, and keep us posted. he crew will be more than happy answering questions so don't be shy.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » February 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Welcome and enjoy the site!!!!!!!!!!1

United States of America
Linkfish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Linkfish » February 29th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I shipped my 1981 3607 from Green Bay Wisconsin to the great state of MS. Let me know if you have any questions.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 1st, 2020, 3:08 am

Welcome Aboard. You've come to the right place. Lots of really good people here.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”