Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hi All! About to be Carver Owners!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Canada
MajorV
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 33 aft cabin
Twin 454 Crusaders
"Easy Feelings"
The Landing at Ivy Lea
Ivy Lea, Ontario

Hi All! About to be Carver Owners!

Postby MajorV » March 10th, 2020, 6:41 am

Good Morning, Everyone.

My wife and I are moving up to a 1992 33' Aft Cabin from our Sea Ray 280SD. Well, we are still in process - subject to survey and sea trial, which will be in a month or so.

Any advice on Carvers in general, or this model in particular, would be very welcome indeed! Any issues with the 454 Crusaders (approx 1000 hrs)?

A big step up for us in length, beam, and weight (and comfort), but we're very excited!

Cheers!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Hi All! About to be Carver Owners!

Postby Viper » March 10th, 2020, 7:01 am

Welcome aboard, and fingers crossed that everything works out in your favour. The Crusaders are good engines but it would be smart to get a mechanical inspection done that includes a compression test. Check the condition of fluids including the transmissions, if the fluids haven't been changed recently, it may provide some clues to existing issues. The same applies to the generator if applicable. Keep us posted.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 10th, 2020, 11:44 am

Welcome! +1 to Vipers engine advice. Love my Crusaders. That engine rumble will jack you up. Sounds like pure muscle. I assume you had a single I/O on your SD. You will really enjoy the inboards on the Carver once you get used to them. You will also find a big change in speed, but that is offset by comfort. No more banging around on the water. When I changed from express style to cruiser, I dropped my typical cruising speed by 10 MPH. Seemed like I was just crawling through the water, but that was more related to the comfortable cruise than the speed drop. The other thing is how much more boat there is to buff & polish. I have more fiberglass than the 38' Cruisers Express parked in front of me in storage. Due to the economic conditions in 1992, a number of boat manufacturers started cutting corners in production materials. Carver did not. Hope the survey & inspections come out positive. You will love the space! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 10th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 11th, 2020, 2:37 am

Welcome Aboard, hope all goes well with the survey and sea trial.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 11th, 2020, 6:28 am

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 330 Carver aft cabin

Postby 1992330aftcabin » March 11th, 2020, 10:40 am

Welcome aboard Majorv, Nice choice in boats. I have the same model and year, we love our boat! with that said if you have any questions feel free to ask away. Let us know how the survey goes. By the way where did you find your boat at?

Mike

Topic author Canada
MajorV
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 454 Crusaders
"Easy Feelings"
The Landing at Ivy Lea
Ivy Lea, Ontario

Postby MajorV » March 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm

1992330aftcabin wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard Majorv, Nice choice in boats. I have the same model and year, we love our boat! with that said if you have any questions feel free to ask away. Let us know how the survey goes. By the way where did you find your boat at?

Mike

Hi Mike,
Looked on boatdealers.ca and there she was. We were looking for similar configurations (aft cabin) of Prowlers and bigger Carvers prior to choosing this one.

Cheers!

Topic author Canada
MajorV
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 454 Crusaders
"Easy Feelings"
The Landing at Ivy Lea
Ivy Lea, Ontario

Postby MajorV » March 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard, and fingers crossed that everything works out in your favour. The Crusaders are good engines but it would be smart to get a mechanical inspection done that includes a compression test. Check the condition of fluids including the transmissions, if the fluids haven't been changed recently, it may provide some clues to existing issues. The same applies to the generator if applicable. Keep us posted.

Great advice, thanks!

Topic author Canada
MajorV
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 454 Crusaders
"Easy Feelings"
The Landing at Ivy Lea
Ivy Lea, Ontario

Postby MajorV » March 13th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Welcome! +1 to Vipers engine advice. Love my Crusaders. That engine rumble will jack you up. Sounds like pure muscle. I assume you had a single I/O on your SD. You will really enjoy the inboards on the Carver once you get used to them. You will also find a big change in speed, but that is offset by comfort. No more banging around on the water. When I changed from express style to cruiser, I dropped my typical cruising speed by 10 MPH. Seemed like I was just crawling through the water, but that was more related to the comfortable cruise than the speed drop. The other thing is how much more boat there is to buff & polish. I have more fiberglass than the 38' Cruisers Express parked in front of me in storage. Due to the economic conditions in 1992, a number of boat manufacturers started cutting corners in production materials. Carver did not. Hope the survey & inspections come out positive. You will love the space! 8-) er

Thanks Cooler!
Our SD has twin 4.3 mercruisers, great control when docking. My wife and I decided that going a bit slower and seeing more was what we wanted...and much as I love the Sea Ray, the comfort of the Carver will be amazing. And I suspect that Boat Dog will enjoy the extra space.

Just going to take some good practice to get used to the size difference!

Cheers!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”