Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

basic chart plotter

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
iamhopeless
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 396 diesel

basic chart plotter

Postby iamhopeless » April 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am

Any observations would be greatly appreciated. My 2000 Carver 396 has an old SIMRAD system. Radar works fine. Previous owner installed new depth finder that works fine. Chart plotter does not work. I tried replacing the GPS antenna thinking that was the problem but it was not.

I am interested in a new chart plotter with auto guidance or dock-to-dock capability. Basically a chart plotter that does just that and doesn't break the bank. Perhaps a smaller screen device that can be mirrored to a larger screen? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: basic chart plotter

Postby Tireless » April 22nd, 2020, 5:22 pm

This topic has come up from time to time on the forum. Look into using an iPad with the Navionics app. I just purchased a new iPad Pro, with a 12.9 inch screen as apposed to replacing my E80 Chartplotter. My E80 still works so I use the iPad as my primary and have been using an older, smaller iPad for many years. I use the E80 for general mapping, auto pilot, depth and the radar.

The charts are very clear and the GPS on the WiFi/cellular model is very accurate. The nice thing is, you do NOT need a monthly cellular plan from a carrier to use the GPS in the unit so it plots you very accurately. A lot of folks are switching to an iPad v.s. buying extremely expensive MFD's.

Always have a back up. With Navionics on your iPad, it is also available on your other devices such as an iPhone, etc. for one price. There is an initial fee for the Navionics app and then a $29.99 CDN annual fee that ensures the charts are always up to date and you have the auto routing amongst other features.

I mount the iPad to my helm with a product from Sea Sucker so I don't have to drill holes in the dash.

JMHO. Good luck.

Greg

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”