Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Owner

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Mariner 3297

New Owner

Postby Gag_Halfront » June 27th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Hello! New owner here. I just bought my first Carver. A 1990 Mariner 3297. She needs some work, but the technical threads I've read on this forum seem very well informed and the users seem very happy to help. I'm hoping to get my boat working properly and continue to be an active member here for a long time.

-- David

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: New Owner

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Congrats and welcome aboard David. You're right, we have a good bunch here with a lot of relevant information, experience, and always willing to share and help out. Glad you're going to stick around for a while and don't be afraid to ask anything.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 27th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Welcome Aboard. This is the place for Carver information. Good luck with your Carver.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 27th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Gag_Halfront » June 27th, 2020, 11:32 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. The mariner may not be as easy on the eyes as some other models, but I'm absolutely in love with the layout.

This particular example was a donation to a charity, then bought by someone who let it sit for several years and now, I bought it as the marina where it's stored wants it _OUT_ by the end of the month. It's a tall order, but small block chevy engines aren't really mysterious, all the through hulls look good, one bilge pump needs replaced, but from a "does it float? Does it run?" perspective I think I've about got it ready to launch,

My latest problem is that I just discovered today that the helm does squat. Apparently (as I've learned by reading the forums tonight) low hydraulic fluid is a thing you have to watch out for on these older boats, so that's ok. I can sort that out. What's troubling is that when I try to turn the rudders by hand (big channel lock pliers and some muscle) they turn to port just fine, but don't turn to starboard. I think I'm probably going to find that the hydraulic slave cylinder is toast. Troubleshooting this is my primary goal tomorrow.

I'm also trying to figure out why the starboard ignition switch doesn't seem to do anything. Could be the switch itself is fubar, could be bad wiring somewhere. I don't think it's the engine itself because I don't even get an alarm when I turn the ignition on. Nada. The previous owner is supposed to be sending me tons of manuals and documentation including schematics, but there's almost no chance it arrives before I have to have the boat out.

Anyway, nothing but fun, right? That's why we get into this hobby. Because we don't have enough problems. :-D

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Gag_Halfront wrote:Source of the post ......What's troubling is that when I try to turn the rudders by hand (big channel lock pliers and some muscle) they turn to port just fine, but don't turn to starboard....

That's not uncommon even in a properly working hydraulic system. I would focus more on ensuring the fluid is at the proper level and bled so there is no air in the system. Low fluid and air will prevent it from working properly.

As for the starboard no start, it could be a number of things but start with the simple stuff like ensuring the shifter is in neutral. To check if it's out of adjustment, turn the ignition switch to the start position and keep it there while to move the shifter back and forth between forward and reverse. If she turns over while moving the shifter, the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment.

I'm assuming you've checked and ensured your batteries are up to par?

What brand and model of engines are we talking about here?

Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Gag_Halfront » June 28th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I spent considerable time trying to bleed the steering system today with some amount of luck. I think tomorrow I will try to do basically a full system flush. With the hydraulic ram disconnected from the rudder tie rod, after a few bleeding attempts, we saw the ram extend to starboard, then retract almost back to the center and then stop moving. I am assuming that indicates sufficiently that both the pump behind the wheel and the ram itself are working properly. That pretty much leaves more bleeding.

The engines are mercruisers. 350 small blocks. I have not tried the shifter test. I will investigate that tomorrow. I did find a breaker of some kind just behind the distributor on each engine. On the port engine the "push to reset" button pushes properly and that's the engine that works. The button on the starboard engine's breaker did not push and there was no continuity across the terminals. As a temporary test I removed the breaker and connected the two ring terminals of the leads together. This had no effect. I'm not sure exactly what the breaker is for, but I do know that it's faulty. I also know it doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem.

The batteries are brand new. I replaced all of them very first thing.

If these were automotive engines, I would expect the large lug to the solenoid to be the positive battery cable and connecting a starter test button between that lug and the smaller lug would engage the starter. On the boat, I have no idea what path the circuit takes to get from the battery to the engine ignition and starter. Any further insight would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm looking forward to doing more with the boat than crawling around in the engine room. :pirate:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 28th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Keep checking the fluid level in the helm after you turn the wheel back and forth a few times to bleed the system and top up as needed, then repeat. It's common for this process to take a while and many turns of the wheel.

Do you hear any clicking at all at the engine when you turn the key to the start position? There should be a slave solenoid at the front left side of the engine probably in the housing where the breaker is. If you take a listen at the engine while someone turns the key, you should hear it click. If it clicks but doesn't turn over, chances are the solenoid is faulty. If it doesn't click, there is a problem with the control circuit. Can you post an engine serial number?

Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Gag_Halfront » June 28th, 2020, 10:26 pm

There is no sound whatsoever from the starboard engine. Not even the click of a relay solenoid. I will get better details on the engine in the morning.

Thanks again!

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 29th, 2020, 5:56 am

Welcome and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”