Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New "powerboater" joining (Montego 25)

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: New "powerboater" joining (Montego 25)

Postby buster53 » October 10th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Ok, you need to walk away from this boat...and don't look back.
Next boat you find, get it surveyed. If the seller balks, walk away.

I'd bet money the seller knew these issues you found and was hoping someone would buy the boat and not find out until money change hands.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 10th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Sounds like a scary DIY mess.
Move on. I believe this one may be endless headaches and may cause loss of cash itis.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 11th, 2020, 3:37 am

There are to many things that just don't add up for that boat. Personally I would walk away.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
dodgingwrenches
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Montego 2557

Postby dodgingwrenches » October 11th, 2020, 8:08 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Ok, you need to walk away from this boat...and don't look back.
Next boat you find, get it surveyed. If the seller balks, walk away.

I'd bet money the seller knew these issues you found and was hoping someone would buy the boat and not find out until money change hands.

Honestly I don't think the seller even knows. He bought it this spring and it was his first boat. He just didn't know what to look for and didn't get a survey either (and now is buying a bigger boat). A lot of this stuff I had forgotten about since it has been a few years since I owned a boat, but some of it is new to me too (my boat didn't have A/C...)

Topic author Canada
dodgingwrenches
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Montego 2557

Postby dodgingwrenches » October 11th, 2020, 9:40 am

I just want to thank everyone for the input - it has been very helpful!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 11th, 2020, 10:57 am

This vessel sounds like it has/had an owner that made very questionable modifications. The items you listed are just what you could see at this time, I suspect you'd find several more during ownership. Bottom looks good though, but that's just a cosmetic coat of paint to make it look pretty for the prospective buyer. The big question, and what really matters are the vessel's bones, the condition of the systems within, and the way in which things have been repaired and maintained.

You need to approach this without emotion as that often leads to purchasing something that will cost you big bucks later. I'd recommend walking away. I know there is limited inventory but don't be rushed into buying something because of that, there will be others.
dodgingwrenches wrote:Source of the post.....Anyway brought a friend who is as good as any surveyor.....
Really?! Wow, that's quite a statement. I've been around boats most of my life and have been repairing them on a professional level for decades, but I would never say that I am as good as any surveyor. It's a different trade requiring very specific training. Remember, you don't know what you don't know, and what you don't know is what can come back to haunt you later.

Good luck with your search.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 11th, 2020, 1:23 pm

dodgingwrenches wrote:Source of the post
buster53 wrote:Source of the post AC hooked up to shore water...that would probably get you kicked out of our marina...or at the least, one warning to fix it immediately. Yes, it will be expensive...haul the boat to install a thru hull, purchase a thru hull and water pump and hook up all the plumbing connections and run wiring to run the pump. Easily will run you $1000.

Forgot to add, another oddity is we couldn't find a blower switch anywhere? Saw the hoses for a blower and think all gas engines need one, but didn't find a switch and didn't hear one come on either. And the aft bilge had some water in it, but the aft bilge pump switch was repurposed for something else, so not even sure there was a switch to manually control it or check if it worked

I'm no expert, but 99.9% sure an inboard powered boat is ABYC required to have a working blower. If anything had happened to this boat and your insurance company could even remotely connect it to lack of a blower, I can see them denying your claim.
Had the boat been surveyed, this issue probably would have been the #1 critical deficiency that demanded immediate action.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”