Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Good Morning, New Member

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Good Morning, New Member

Postby Cooler » January 21st, 2021, 12:04 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood. Very good production year. First full year of operations at Carver after the economic recovery and all kinds of upheavel in the boat building industry. Diesels or gas? Pretty big jump from 28 to 41. I did the same thing and was a little nervous about handling. Got accustomed in no time. Those inboards offer a totally different feel with manuevering. In a good way! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » January 23rd, 2021, 12:57 am

Welcome Aboard.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author United States of America
jp355
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 355 ACMY

Postby jp355 » January 26th, 2021, 9:31 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the neighborhood. Very good production year. First full year of operations at Carver after the economic recovery and all kinds of upheavel in the boat building industry. Diesels or gas? Pretty big jump from 28 to 41. I did the same thing and was a little nervous about handling. Got accustomed in no time. Those inboards offer a totally different feel with manuevering. In a good way! 8-) er

Thank you! Gas. Lots of gas. I hope it is in a good way too. I still hadn't mastered the backing the 280 SE into the slip with that single engine with current going one way and the prevailing wind another. Thanks for the welcome.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 26th, 2021, 11:49 am

A lot easier with 2 engines. When I had a single, I would have to do a fishtail technique to back in. That was with duo props also. Just remember to keep your rudders straight when backing Carver in the slip, use shifters only. The other thing with a single engine is I always had to keep engine in gear. The twins do really well with using short bursts instead of steady in gear. Good luck. Go slow. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

jp355
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jp355 » January 26th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post A lot easier with 2 engines. When I had a single, I would have to do a fishtail technique to back in. That was with duo props also. Just remember to keep your rudders straight when backing Carver in the slip, use shifters only. The other thing with a single engine is I always had to keep engine in gear. The twins do really well with using short bursts instead of steady in gear. Good luck. Go slow. 8-) er

I was in a marina in Peoria where the slipowners had a patio perched above the marina and could see everything, all slips and the ramp. One afternoon when they were feeling very good, I backed in and had to goose it a few times and go around and try again. We eventually tie off and I looked up and saw that they were all holding signs....7.2, 7.0, 6.5, 6.0, 7.5 etc. I just hung my head and they broke up laughing.

The next time out, the admiral takes out the binos and looks to see who was on the patio, and says "The peanut gallery is in full force again." We got the fenders out early, all the lines set, checked the current, checked the wind.....

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 26th, 2021, 4:47 pm

After just a little practice, those scores will turn to 9+. Checked out your club website. Lot's of MY's in there. Saw a pic of a late 80's Carver Mariner also. Looks like a fun place. If you have any questions about your 355, Carver maintains the building logs for each vessel. You can call them with your hull # and they can provide lot's of info, including any significant issues with your boat, if there was any they needed to address. 920-822-7248. I was surprised when they recited the hull thickness inspections, and how my hull exceeded the minimum depth at each test spot. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

jp355
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jp355 » January 29th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Yep, the club is very fun. I've been a member in several different locations and this one is a good place to land. We don't have any "owner" to contend with. Everybody has to chip in.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”