Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Airline captian to boat captain

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: Airline captian to boat captain

Postby Phrancus » May 31st, 2021, 4:02 pm

I may have misunderstood that you are planning to take quite a trip off shore? In two years there's a lot of flexible stuff that becomes less flexible, fluids, lubricants in which residue sinks to the bottom and so on. Sometimes it's a simple matter of carefull prime and a bit of care to get it started up. I have also come accross a rough start and damage to the top of the engine due to lack of lubrication.

If you have the opportunity and funds, I would advise to invest in new lubricants, in line filters (oil, fuel, not air I would think). and even cooling fluid. Replace the impeller(s) and in case of damage check the whole bloody system for remnants.

Sounds over the top, I know, but I'm having a season of small stuff one after the other to address due to not being able to get the whole thing sorted pre-season as planned.

for me it's annoying but no big deal, we're bullshitting around on rivers and small lakes so an engine running hot is easily turned to idle or off, the second can take over easily. But if you're out and need the power of both, you don't have that margin.

PS: don't know the names of locations and distances on your side of the Atlantic but i'm sure they're bigger and riskier than we cover with our Carver. I love to get her up to planing speed as she handles very nicely then. In reality we trodding along at a few rpm and steering all the time to keep some kind of course to avoid things like other vessels and shores. :-D
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Airline captian to boat captain

Postby RGrew176 » June 1st, 2021, 7:47 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore