Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass Install on a 3227

Topic author Canada
thewhirl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Windlass Install on a 3227

Postby thewhirl » July 31st, 2021, 3:13 pm

Purchased a new to us 1988 3227 Convertible that was not equipped with a windlass. A friend gifted me a Lofrans X2 he had as a spare, but I'm not sure where to install given small rode locker and limited deck space.

Has anyone installed a windlass on this year/model?

With appreciation,
Trev

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Windlass Install on a 3227

Postby Viper » August 1st, 2021, 9:09 am

Welcome aboard Trev.

Hopefully a member with the same model will chime. Check the installation manual, there will be a minimum clearance measurement of how much space there must be between the top of your rode (rope/chain) when it's retrieved into the locker, and the bottom of the windlass. If that amount of space doesn't exist, don't install it. If the rode piles up against the unit, it'll interfere with proper operation and jam. If you have chain, and it piles up against the motor, it'll short out the contacts. If it's limited space in there, sell the unit and purchase a horizontal one that mounts completely above deck.

Topic author Canada
thewhirl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Postby thewhirl » August 2nd, 2021, 2:47 pm

Thank you.

United States of America
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 3227

Postby 2468 » January 8th, 2023, 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info.....I am looking at the horizontal type (?) My next concern is what kind of backing plate to use or is there one already in the bow under/inside the pulpit?

Return to “The Project Center”