Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Member - First Carver '07 35 SS

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
danclev
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 35 SS

New Member - First Carver '07 35 SS

Postby danclev » August 26th, 2021, 10:05 am

Hi all,
Great forum and LOTS to learn.
Will be getting our Carver in two weeks and need to prepare for it's first big trip in maybe 5 years, relocating to its new home in Morehead City, NC. 200 nm trip! Hired a Captain to ride along with and show us the ropes on the ICW.

The marine survey was fairly clean - besides some items to address when we get home (no generator), sea trial passed with flying colors. However, this boat was hardly used in 5 years with remote absentee owner, so it needs some TLC before going underway on a long haul.

Questions:
1. Before we get underway, it would be great to see your favorite pre-trip checklists so as to avert any easily avoidable problems, is there anything you recommend?

2. Carver stopped publishing a parts book with 2005's. Does anyone know where to locate one for the '07?

3. Shower sump, inop with super stinky water in forward bilge leaking from old sump. Smelling up the whole cabin with a weird indescribable smell. I can't find what the OEM replacement is, does anyone know? What are the best products to clean and rinse the bilge surface and get odor out of everthing?

Thanks in advance!!
Dan
Last edited by danclev on August 26th, 2021, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: New Member - First Carver '07 35 SS

Postby waybomb » August 26th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Welcome aboard.
First, very few parts were made by Carver. Most boat manufacturers only build the boat, and buy everything else.
Having said that, any shower sump will work so long as it fits
For then trip - change all the filters and fluids, Carry extra few filters.
Change the water impellers and have some spares on hand, as well as the tools to replace them if needed.
Might be a good idea to find some ebay props as spares. You'll be shocked at what props cost new at a marina.
Have a nice assortment of fuses and know where they are.
Extra lines is always good to have.
Spare engine belts.
If it's been sitting for five years, may as well bite the bullet and replace all the batteries.
Make sure all the bilge pumps work; carry wooden plugs for the through hulls. Best would be to attach one to each through-hull below the water line.

I'm sure somebody will add m ore to the list.
Have fun!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 26th, 2021, 2:14 pm

No ifs ands or buts.... changeout the raw water impellers before starting that journey. You might not make it a mile on the existing ones if they haven't been replaced in a while. You always want to know when they were replaced -without any doubt- so don't just take somebody's word for it that they were replaced "recently".

Definitely carry extra filters. They don't expire and you'll eventually use them, so buy a few.

What motors are on the boat?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 26th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Even though the sea trial went well, years old gasoline would be a big concern.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 26th, 2021, 5:43 pm

danclev wrote:Source of the post...
3. Shower sump, inop with super stinky water in forward bilge leaking from old sump. Smelling up the whole cabin with a weird indescribable smell. I can't find what the OEM replacement is, does anyone know? What are the best products to clean and rinse the bilge surface and get odor out of everthing? ...

Forgot that part... I've used some of the citrus bilge cleaner before and it worked pretty good. Pretty distinctive smell, but it smells "clean". That goes away after a bit though but the nasty smell doesn't return.

You might want to pull that sump out and check it over. You might just be able to reseal it, especially if they just used thru-hulls to make the hose connections. Might be able to just clean it up, add a little sealant and crank them back down.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » August 26th, 2021, 8:01 pm

I owned a 2006 33 SS for 4 years which is the very same boat. They changed it to a 35 SS in 2007. What Does it have, crusader 6.0 engines? If so I can walk you through changing the impellers. Easy job but I would definitely change them. I would also change the belts. I have the props (they are brand new 22x22 1.5” shaft). Sold the boat a few months after buying them as spares. Anyway, pm me and we can go through the boat a little so you feel comfortable with it. I will also be glad to have a phone conversation with you. Carver pulled the manuals a month ago. I may or may not have pdf copies I will look for, for you

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 26th, 2021, 10:22 pm

Welcome aboard. Hope everything goes well on your trip.

danclev
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby danclev » August 26th, 2021, 10:45 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post No ifs ands or buts.... changeout the raw water impellers before starting that journey. You might not make it a mile on the existing ones if they haven't been replaced in a while. You always want to know when they were replaced -without any doubt- so don't just take somebody's word for it that they were replaced "recently".

Definitely carry extra filters. They don't expire and you'll eventually use them, so buy a few.

What motors are on the boat?

Thanks for the advice! Crusader 6.0 motors onboard.

danclev
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby danclev » August 26th, 2021, 10:55 pm

Helmsman wrote:Source of the post I owned a 2006 33 SS for 4 years which is the very same boat. They changed it to a 35 SS in 2007. What Does it have, crusader 6.0 engines? If so I can walk you through changing the impellers. Easy job but I would definitely change them. I would also change the belts. I have the props (they are brand new 22x22 1.5” shaft). Sold the boat a few months after buying them as spares. Anyway, pm me and we can go through the boat a little so you feel comfortable with it. I will also be glad to have a phone conversation with you. Carver pulled the manuals a month ago. I may or may not have pdf copies I will look for, for you

Thanks! That would be great. Yes, Crusader 6.0's. First question is how to ID the right impellers and buy them. I'll dig into that. I did find the owner's guide for the 36 which is essentially the same boat I'm assuming.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 27th, 2021, 11:37 am

Welcome glad your here
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.