Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1989 Carver Montego MidCabin

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
jrides55
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Montego Mid-Cabin

1989 Carver Montego MidCabin

Postby jrides55 » September 9th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Actually purchasing the boat in the thread title. I've never owned a boat this big before, nor an I/O. I currently also have a '72 Glastron V-176 Swinger with a 1972 100hp Johnson outboard... so to say the least, this will be new for me. This will have the Mercruiser 5.7l, 1989 as well.

This boat will need a good cleaning on the topside and will need to be totally redone in the cabin. The previous owner said it ran last year. I know when I've purchased older outboard boats I always check compression, but it may be more difficult on this. What else should I look for and check out while I'm there. I plan to check floors/stringers/transom, at least as well as I can.

I'd love any info people have on this motor and this boat. I'm looking forward to the project and learning from all of you in the forums!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Carver Montego Mid-Cabin 23'
(Not a Carver) 1972 Glastron V-176 Swinger

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1989 Carver Montego MidCabin

Postby km1125 » September 9th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Welcome aboard!

Expect to do some outdrive maintenance. If there's a water pump in there, then replace the impeller (or the whole pump). Also plan on inspecting/replacing the bellows, as they are a frequent source of water leaks on an older installation. If you plan those two activities it will be less expensive and MUCH LESS inconvenient, as either can ruin a weekend if you discover they're an issue while you're already on the water. While you're in there, evaluate the coupler and u-joint in case they need attention (like lubing the u-joint).

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » September 9th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Start with a safety check. CO detectors, smoke alarm, fire extinguisher, etc... whatever your local laws require.

Then look into when the last time a tune up was done. Sure it might run, but that 5.7 should be glass smooth with a proper tuneup. Cap/Rotor/Wires/Plugs/Coil/Oil and filter/fuel filter/ water separator/
Clean the spark arrestor so it's clean again. Inspect the carb for varnish.

Check your hoses for hardening, cracking and age.

Look at the ground busses that are in the bilge area and make sure they aren't green. Remove, sand and clean if they are discolored. Check all wiring for loose and corroded connections.

Pour some Campers Friend head cleaner in the holding tank and let it work it's magic and then pump it out as many times as they will let you. hot hot hot water down that tank to clean it all up.

Check the fresh water pump filter to make sure it's clean and clear. Might even bleach the tank since it sounds like it's been sitting.

Then break out the pressure washer and buffer. I bet that thing will clean up nice. Might need a wet sand, but you can determine that later.

I like to take care of things in order. Safety first, then mechanical and reliability, then comfort, then the pretty stuff.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 10th, 2021, 7:10 am

Welcome aboard. All good points the guys mentioned above. Are you sure the engine is a Mercruiser? I ask because the drive is a Volvo. If it is a Mercruiser, there's been a repower. As mentioned above, I'd check the drive and transom assembly closely as they can be expensive to repair. If you can, remove the drive and inspect the transom assembly components closely, especially the bearings as some models require engine removal to replace them. Bellows, input shaft, u-joints, etc. as mentioned should be checked as well as the condition of the gear lube. You should also check how easy the remote shifts with the drive removed as this will give you an indication of the cable's condition. Don't shift with the drive in place on the hard.

Unless it's a model I'm not aware of, the impeller will be on the engine, not in the drive. If that's the case, they've retrofitted the Merc engine with Volvo pump components. It may not be an issue if it was plug-and-play but if they had to butcher something to make the assembly fit, I'd be concerned. Also consider that some components for these drives NLA from Volvo but may be available through other retailers though usually at a premium.

Good luck and keep us posted.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 10th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Welcome Aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » September 12th, 2021, 2:59 am

Welcome Aboard and lots of great advice already posted. Best of luck getting her shipshape.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

jrides55
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jrides55 » September 13th, 2021, 9:47 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the posts and thoughts. Great stuff shared. Now I have to figure out some things about this new boat I have.

One thing I did learn - it is not a Mercruiser, but a Volvo Penta - AQ271C. I've also learned I need to replace the bellows which can be a pain according to a good friend of mine. So far, none of my pumps are working, so I have to dive into that a bit more too. I'll be taking these things on a little at a time and I'm sure I'll be posting here for help. Thanks everyone!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 13th, 2021, 11:07 am

Welcome I've had a Volvo powered runabout for many years the bellows can be a pain but definitely DIY. My model has a exhaust bellows and the bellows for the drive universal. You can change exhaust one fairly easily but the drive one is more work of course . If you'll give them a good inspection and if you find any cracks/splits it will have to replaced.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

jrides55
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jrides55 » September 14th, 2021, 9:11 am

Can anyone tell me what out drive I have? I'm probably missing a marking somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out what model I have. DP290 by chance? Thanks!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 14th, 2021, 11:43 am

There were a few similar models in that era. Could be a 290, 280, or DP series. A few more closer shots from different angles might help.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”