Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
Yehkai
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Considering a 53 Voyager

Postby Yehkai » December 24th, 2013, 10:44 pm

I am obviously a new member who is yet to own a boat.
Over the past 2 years trying to decide on what Make, what model and how big.
I have had no bias as to which make I like until recently and now find myself leaning towards the Carver brand.
I am sure many will question my decision to buy a boat which is relatively large (52'Voyager) considering that I have not owned a boat before. And welcome any negative and positive feedback into my rationale of why I am looking at a boat of this size.

SHEMP
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 CARVER 456 MY
Full Bridge and aft deck enclosure
Originally purchased in Staten Island
Second owner also purchased in Staten Island in 2012
Now berthed in Toronto Canada
A wonderful and fully appointed luxury yacht.

Re: New Member

Postby SHEMP » December 25th, 2013, 12:29 am

The 52 Voyager is a beautiful boat. The main thing you need to know is that a boat of this size requires tons of maintenance inside and out. As long as you have the funds to hire different contractors , you will be fine. If you expect to do all the work yourself , be prepared for lots of it. One important thing to know is that there is a very large surface area topsides ( Fiberglass gelcoat) that must be washed waxed and polished. Some area are very difficult to reach. Also the extraordinaire and vast number of systems that are built into your vessel all require some attention and maintenance. Your main propulsion systems need special and expert care, if you want to protect your investment. Your Generator and associated electrical systems also need attention.
I recently bought a 456 Motoryacht, a beautiful vessel . I moved up from a 32 express that I owned for over 15 years.
There is a significantly greater amount of maintenance on the larger yacht.
I hope this gives you an idea.
While shopping for your Voyager , make a list of all the things you see that make up the yacht. You will be surprised what a tremendous amount of equipment is required to outfit a vessel of this size.
Congratulations for making such a brave and courageous entry into boating.
Good luck .
Victor

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 25th, 2013, 9:18 am

You might also want to check with multiple insurance companies on insurability with your lack of experience. This would really suck if you bought a boat and could not get insured.

I'd also suggest, before you go shopping, take USCG and USPS boating safety classes.

May be a good idea to do a few day rental down in the Carribean with a Captain with a similar sized boat. And cedrtainly hire a cpatain for a few days to go over your new boat's systems and handling with you. It would be money well spent. Not only does a boat that size have more mechanical stuff in thatn your home, it also has engines and complicated electronics and safety gear.

There are no brakes or tires on a boat. Wind and current are forces to be dealt with. It takes quite a bit of experience piloting a 40-60,000 pound boat around other's boats, and doing it right. One way top make enemies on your dock is to wreck their boat.

And welcome to the forum!!!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
Yehkai
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Considering a 53 Voyager

Postby Yehkai » December 25th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Thank you both SHEMP and Waybomb for your advise and comments. Much appreciated.
Maintenance, I am fortunate to have a good understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and will have much time on my hands to cover routine maintenance and minor repairs. Electronics, I have problems with my TV remote control!!! so I am praying that marine electronics are very reliable, which on the boat I finally end up buying will get serviced before I feel comfortable that all is ok with these systems.

Boat operation, very good sound advise. I have been around boats for 30 years without actually owning one. I do not under estimate my own knowledge and ability and will say being around boats and actually taking charge of one are leagues apart and would be crazy to think that I could just start the engines and sail into the sunset.

Insurance cover this is a area that I am totally "Dumb" and not afraid to admit this. And yes will need to investigate this more.

Thank you again...

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”