Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Mwachterward
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Our girl is a 1985 Carver 3607

Postby Mwachterward » November 9th, 2021, 6:13 am

Good morning!
My names is Michele & my husband & I were fortunate enough to find a 1985 3607 last November. I LOVE my boat! She has been neglected for many years & spent her life in salt water. She had crustaceans growing in every crevice. we moved her home last March & she now resides just north of Philadelphia on the Delaware River. She needs some work but we’ll get her cleaned up.

One thing that I need to replace are some of her port lights. A lot of the twist locks are cracked or missing. The aft cabin transom port light doesn’t have a lock so I would like to find a replacement for it. My dog has figured out that it doesn’t lock & tries to escape! I understand Bomar was the original manufacturer for Carver port lights but they seem to have different series. Which series was the 1985 3607?

Thank you for accepting me! I hope to learn a lot from the group.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: New member

Postby Viper » November 9th, 2021, 7:02 am

Welcome aboard Michele. Try emailing Bomar/Pompanette with closeup pics and measurements, they may still be able to fabricate that model. The alternative is finding a close match but you may have to modify the opening, or try a salvage place like The Marine Connection in Fort Pierce Florida, last time I was there they had a ton of different portlights and hatches to choose from.
http://www.themarineconnection.com/

If you know of any dealerships that sold Carvers, give them a shout in hopes that they may have the info you need, they may even have the original pieces in stock. Finally, you can have an aft window hatch custom made if you can't find anything close to the one you have. I know of a place on the east coast of Canada that I've used in the past. If you need their info, let me know and I'll look for it.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 9th, 2021, 8:35 am

Welcome aboard!! Is the water you're in now fresh or brackish?

I had a 3607, and there are several other 3607 owners on here. There are a few threads about the portlights on those boats, as well as similar ones of the same vintage.

Gray (or was it Grey?) Industries was the original manufacturer of the portlights. They were bought out by Bomar, who was subsequently bought out by Pompanette, which is located in Florida. Pompanette has great customer service. You can call or email them.

If still original, your aft hatch is the same size and model as the big hatch in the forward cabin. If you get part numbers from Pompanette, then check around on the Internet, because there might be some retailers that still have those parts in stock and may offer them at a discount from list. Pompanette will sell them to you too, but at full list. They come from the same place though, so you're still supporting Pompanette by buying them through a retailer even though you're saving some money.

One big key to not breaking the hatches is to press down on your thumb next to the clamp as you're LIGHTLY tightening down the clamps, and go around twice so they're all even. They DO NOT have to be very tight to seal, if the gasketing material is still good. I believe you can still get the gasketing material from Pompanette, and it's easy to replace... just self-stick material. You buy a roll of whatever length you need, then cut sections to fit. Clean the old stuff out and stick the new stuff in.

If you're going to replace a hatch or portlight, make you you get ALL the dimensions you need. Some are measured by the cut-out dimensions and some are by the overall dimensions, and some are measured by the actual "viewing window" that you can see though.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 9th, 2021, 10:40 am

Welcome aboard, best wishes on your new adventures
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » November 9th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Welcome aboard. Congratulations and best wishes on your purchase and your refit.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 9th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 10th, 2021, 12:50 am

Welcome Aboard. Good luck getting your 3607 up and going.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Stan Ditcham
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 carver 3607 aft cabin

Postby Stan Ditcham » November 22nd, 2021, 11:20 am

Hi Viper,
Who and where is the east coast canada company that you mentioned to Mwashterward on Nov 9th about ports for 3607 carver? Im still looking, I have a 3607 and those two large hatches measure 19.5 x 19.5 cutout. and i need one?
Stan

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 22nd, 2021, 6:16 pm

Stay tuned, I'll try to find the supplier info.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 25th, 2021, 8:33 pm

I thought they were on the east coast but they're actually in Laval QC. Had a custom transom hatch made for a customer's Sea Ray and was happy with the product. Here is the link to their website...... http://bomon.com/

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”