Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Australia
sergei
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 400 Trojan Express 1998

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!!

Postby sergei » December 23rd, 2022, 9:46 pm

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!! :captain2:

I purchased my 1998 Trojan 400 and have been repairing the engines / gearboxes since ((((

I have been looking for a detailed manual, specifically location of cables, routing of hoses etc as the generic manual has very little information.

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!!

Postby km1125 » December 24th, 2022, 10:58 am

Welcome aboard!!

You're probably never going to find a detailed manual like that, but if you ask enough questions you might get the info you need.

Good luck on the project and post up some pics as you go along!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 24th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Welcome aboard! How are things there, because your now is our tomorrow. Hope that makes sense. The info you are looking for did not get published. ( cables & hoses ) Besides that, vessels manufactured for international delivery were often modified to conform to local regulation. Only way to be sure is to gain a clear understanding of how different cables and hoses are marked, and then attempt to follow through inspection via the various access plates. Not an easy job, but if you are skinny, and a practicing contortionist, it can be done. There is a guy in London who packs himself into a 24" square box, doing performances at the park where the London Eye is located. He could be a big help. Goodeye! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 24th, 2022, 8:46 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author Australia
sergei
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sergei » January 26th, 2023, 4:59 am

Hi guys, thanks everyone and hopefully you're enjoying your boats, while I have been only repairing mine.

I wasn't skinny in the beginning, but the more work I do by myself, the skinnier I get. And feeling older )))

Anyways, I'll get you posted with some pics, hopefully soon the boat will look almost like new.
BTW the prices here are an absolute nightmare, say for the new set of covers I had to fork out $14K AUD .

Here's a screenshot of mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author Australia
sergei
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sergei » January 26th, 2023, 5:18 am

I'm sure you guys know a lot more than I, wanted to ask about a strange sound, which comes from around the shower area. It only happens when the boat is rocking at bigger waves along its longitudinal axis. It sounds as if there is something loose in some cavity and this relatively heavy object starts hitting the hull. Is it possible that there is some structural joint issue and a relative movement is causing this sound? Your advice is highly appreciated. Cheers

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » January 26th, 2023, 5:43 am

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 26th, 2023, 10:39 am

sergei wrote:Source of the post I'm sure you guys know a lot more than I, wanted to ask about a strange sound, which comes from around the shower area. It only happens when the boat is rocking at bigger waves along its longitudinal axis. It sounds as if there is something loose in some cavity and this relatively heavy object starts hitting the hull. Is it possible that there is some structural joint issue and a relative movement is causing this sound? Your advice is highly appreciated. Cheers

Is it possible it's just water hitting a part of the hull, perhaps a chine, at the same time? Several folks report issues with some extended swim platforms, or where the hull is "hollow" in the aft just ahead of the swim platform and when waves come in from the stern the whole wave "smacks" the underside of the platform or hull sounding like a hammer or a drum.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 26th, 2023, 11:20 am

My guess would be something like a hose or strapped cables came loose from a hanger along the hull. Those hangers were made from heavy duty zip tie straps. Maybe one or two dried out, creating some slack, so when the hull rolls in a wave, the bundle swings and hits inside hull on way back. I don't think it's a joint issue, but could be anything. The hull on those Trojans were built extremely strong. There was a guy who hit a 30 foot post that was penciled in Lake Michigan. He was at full plane at contact, and it shook the entire boat. He thought it may have done damage, but when we did a dive and inspected it, there was no damage at all. Just a minor rub in the bottom paint. When he lifted for the season, physical inspection confirmed our dive inspection. If you are really curious, drill a hole in the shower wall, and use a flexible pencil camera with light to peek around. Good luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Australia
sergei
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby sergei » January 27th, 2023, 8:04 pm

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! I did think of the peculiar water wave sound as I did hear it myself near the swim platform. And I thought I'll do a camera inspection using the existing holes - such as the shower downlight and the like. BTW there is some kind of screw on round plastic lid inside the cupboard in the shower / toilet - I presume it's an inspection hole? Will keep you posted if I find anything - this is not a priority - at the moment waiting for an overhauled engine to be put in - you would know the problems with Mercruisers sucking back some water from the risers under low revs - well, unfortunately i did get that - the valve stems got stuck, bent the pushrods and off we go ....
Cheers and have great time

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”